Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote error: 'The image couldn't be inserted'

Hi everyone,

Every time I want to insert an image, it keeps saying: 'The image "<image name>" couldn't be inserted.' It does this while using 'Insert > Choose..' and with drag & drop. Please tell me how to fix this. Keynote is unusable for me this way, and I really really need it for work purposes :/

BTW i'm using Keynote 6.5.2, but i also had the same problem when i was running 6.2.2.

Anyone? I'm at a loss here..

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 5:44 AM

16 replies

Nov 9, 2017 5:18 AM in response to tacofaber

Hi. I know this is an old thread but this exact issue happened to me just a while ago and, in case someone ever goes through this problem ever again, I hope I can offer a moment of relief.

The same thing happened to me: I couldn't paste these two PNG files into my Pages and Keynote documents. I can insert other file types like JPEG and PDF, but not these two PNG files and I initially reckoned it was because these were corrupted.

It just so happened I had these two files open in Affinity Photo (a Photoshop alternative). When I closed the open images in Affinity and quit the app, I was able to insert files again in Pages and Keynote.

If you happen to experience this, check if the file is open in a different app. If it doesn't work, well, hey, I tried. I hope someone else comes along and offer a different solution.

Mar 19, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thx for the reply Gary.

Just to be clear: i'm an expert keynote user. Thing is that since i updated to 6, it won't allow me to insert anything. Just found out that it probably has something to do with icloud and the read&write rights outside it: when the .key is in an icloud folder, i am allowed to edit, paste and insert. But once its outside icloud, for instance my desktop, i can't even open the keynote, let alone add an image to an aready opened .key. It's a read & write issue i think.. But how do i solve that? i don't want to use icloud for my keynotes, as i do all my work for clients in Dropbox...

Mar 21, 2015 8:38 PM in response to tacofaber

Okay, so I found myself in this same wrist-slitting situation, and just tried doing a bunch of different things.

What seems to work is this:

1. Create a new Keynote file.
  2. Drag the slides from the "corrupt" Keynote file into the new Keynote file.
  3. The photos will still be missing, but you can "replace" them now ... if you don't remember which ones they are, select the missing picture in the "corrupt" file and then check the file name of that photo in the "Format" tab in the Image tab. Then in the new file, click on the missing photo and go to "replace" to get the correct photo back into your slide in the new file.
  4. In this way you at least still have your Animate build-ins and build-outs, as well as Transitions and Sizing and Positioning ... BUT DO DOUBLE-CHECK ... I had a few that had to be adjusted, I confess.

This solution is FAR LESS THAN IDEAL, but given the radio silence from Apple on this, I guess those of us out here in the hinterlands need to jerry-rig the system as best we can. Good luck!

Oct 20, 2015 12:12 AM in response to shedenka

Thank you very much.

I think the keyword was 'corrupt file'.

Some images disappeared and showed the infamous ? and X symbol.

I just couldn't even add new images and get the error "not compatible format" when trying to add JPEG FILES!!!!

But making a new keynote presentation and copying the slides from the corrupted one worked. Now I can fix the problem and add some images.

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately what I would like it's that keyonte wouldn't suddenly give place to a corrupted file. I noticed that yesterday 'on-air' while teaching to my students. Shame on you apple.

Feb 15, 2016 12:24 PM in response to tacofaber

Extremely frustrating. I updated to the latest versions of iWork apps. Now I can't insert images except from Photos. Drag and Drop or insert doesn't work. Just a message Image *** cannot be inserted. No difference between JPG, PNG, TIF, PDF. And even when I build something using Photos, I can't save it!

Tried reinstalling, resetting parameter RAM, trashing prefs - nothing has worked. The workaround above - copy stuff from a 'bad' file to a new one doesn't help - it still won't save.

Logging in as a different User helps to a point. I can save - but of course I don't have access to the stuff in my regular account, so it's a cumbersome process of transferring stuff from one account to another and then doing the work - only to realize I forget stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keynote error: 'The image couldn't be inserted'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.