Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

still images are blurry when dropped into Canvas

HI, I am running Final Cut 7. When I drop still images into onto the Timeline, when I click on that image to appear in the Canvas they are blurry. However, when I put on the Alpha+RGB they are as sharp as they normally are - except they are red. How do I change this so they are sharp in the RGB channel?

Thanks for your help

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Macbook Pro 3.06 ghz core 2 duo

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 4:43 AM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2015 9:56 AM in response to GregoryRW

Have you rendered the images in the timeline?

If that does not help,

Click on an image you are using in the FCP Browser yo select it, and once selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the image. Either report those properties here or take a screen shot and post a screen shot of the item properties here.

Next, click anywhere in your timeline and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your Sequence Settings. Either report those settings here or take a screen shot of the sequence settings and post that screen shot here.

MtD

Mar 19, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks Meg The Dog for responding.

Files don't need rendering. They are just blurry when placed into the Timeline and seen in the Canvas but clean in the viewer.

In Browser 565.4 K 800 x 576 photo jpeg ... this is nice and sharp

In Timeline: frame size 720 x 576 anamorphic 16:9 CCIR 601 / DV Pal (5:4) Compressor DVCPRO - PAL

Thanks for you assistance

Greg

Mar 19, 2015 7:25 PM in response to GregoryRW

The sequence setting is the issue. DV just doesn't isn't that good quality. DV50 PAL is better, and ProRes NTSC even better. But if you have DV footage, you might be stuck with a DV sequence. Unless you cut everything in a ProRes PAL sequence, or DV50 PAL...and then render everything after. The stills will look a lot better, but the DV will still look like DV.

Mar 19, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Shane Ross

Thanks Shane. The footage is DVCPRO 50 and I thought from the information above that it was DVCPRO50. The still image was shot at 4592 x 3305 and I scaled it down to optimize but unlike when I was shooting DV, if I dropped a still image into the timeline it was clean and sharp. Now it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I drop it in at it isn't clear and certainly not even the quality of DV.

Have tried to change the sequence setting to HD but then it throws up all sorts of other issues.

Mar 19, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Shane Ross

Thanks. Like I said, I have downsized this still image to 720 x 576 at 72 ppi and it goes to crap.

I just changed the setting to HD 1280 x 720. Import the 720 x 576 at 72 ppi ... looks good but needs to be rendered .. render and it goes to crap. Everything that is imported needs to be rendered - then it all goes to crap. 😟 OR video looks good as a still frame and when rendered it goes to crap as it isn't HD but I thought it would be the quality of what it normally is just in an HD environment.

Thinking Final Cut X will solve these issues as it doesn't have these format problems like 7 does.

still images are blurry when dropped into Canvas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.