Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 won't boot, no chime, no video, fans ramp up

This is not a question, but perhaps an answer.

I spent some time searching for solutions to this problem myself, i.e. to keep my old Quad G5 running and I found some useful tips and a few discussions on here, where people were suffering from the same problem. So I'm just posting this, so that anyone searching in the future might find this solution useful (I didn't in fact come across this solution anywhere on the net).

Quad G5

Problem ... everything works perfectly, then one morning, there is no startup chime, nothing happens, no video (blank screen) and after 30 seconds or so, the fans ramp up to full speed (you really know it when this happens!).

Solution :

Swap the video card to a different PCI socket.

In summary;

I had zero indication that anything was going wrong with the Mac. I use it regularly for a specific piece of imaging software, which runs under Classic. I have a Samsung EVO 40 SSD installed and with this the Mac is really very fast. (My old software can open a 1Gb image, with ~20 layers in about 1 second). Once I had removed the video card, the Quad booted fine, so I then re-installed it in another slot (previously the 16x slot, now the 8x slot) and it booted fine. Took it back out and put it back into the first slot (16x) and the problem re-appeared. Finally swapped it back into the 8x slot and all is good. Have been using the Quad again without issues for a couple of days now and have done a several restarts with no sign of a problem.

I hope this may be helpful to anyone trying to keep an old G5 running.

Mac OS X (10.4.11), PowerMac PPC G5

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 10:30 AM

Great work, thanks for the report! 🙂

2 replies

G5 won't boot, no chime, no video, fans ramp up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.