Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete mail boxes from IPad 4

How do you delete old mail boxes from Ipad4

iPad, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 8:58 AM

11 replies

Mar 22, 2015 8:01 AM in response to robert fromottawa

Hi Robert,

It sounds to me like you have mailboxes you want to remove from the Mail app on your phone. You should be able to do that in Settings with these steps:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Delete the affected email account from your device.

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap the affected email account.
  3. Tap Delete Account.
  4. Add your account again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Mar 22, 2015 8:45 AM in response to robert fromottawa

Open the mail app. Tap 'Mailboxes' top left. Under 'Accounts' select the account you want to remove the mailbox from. Tap 'edit' (top right of column) then tap the mailbox you want to delete. Tap 'delete mailbox' to remove the mailbox. Depending on your email provider & the way you have your account setup, this may delete the mailbox everywhere (not just on your iPad).

Apr 3, 2015 4:19 PM in response to sterling r

I have done what you suggested in your first reply and the problem still exists. Basically the mail option appears on the home screen along with many others ie settings. When i hold down one, they all start to jiggle and the ones on the second page all have an x in upper right to close. The ones on the first screen do not have an x.

When i go into the mail app a list of folders appears on the left side. I click edit and the folder is shown and when i click delete, the system just returns to the home screen . As i mentioned i am new at this and hope my explanation makes sense. Thanks

Apr 6, 2015 3:00 PM in response to robert fromottawa

Copy that. Ok next I would backup the iPad and restore it as a new device to test in a clean environment and verify it works:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Apr 8, 2015 6:00 PM in response to sterling r

I notice that the same problem exists on my android laptop. When I try to delete the mailbox in will not delete and refers me to error 14 in Yahoo mail? That error 14 can appear in a several problems with yahoo mail. Thought I would mention this before I consider the restore option. As i mentioned this is all new to me and I appreciate your patience.

Apr 12, 2015 10:40 AM in response to robert fromottawa

Hi Sterling.......I changed the name of the mailbox identity on my laptop and then proceeded to delete as described in your initial message. It did delete and also on my Ipad. Also, I am now able to delete other empty mail boxes? Not sure if this makes any sense but problem seems to be gone and I have appreciated your help. If you can possibly explain why changed the name in the mailbox enabled deletion I would like to know, but do not spend any time on it..........Thanks Bob

How do I delete mail boxes from IPad 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.