Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a comparable automatic back-up system to Time Machine for 10.4.11?

My dad has 10.4.11 running on a G4 tower.

I want to get him a back-up system that will save all his work. I myself have an Intel Mac running 10.6.8, with Time Machine saving all of my work to an external HD.

I know you can't use Time Machine with 10.4.11 Is there a comparable back-up system to TM that does automatic back-ups for 10.4.11?

(One other note--he still maintains Classic OS 9 on his system as well as 10.4.11. Will the back-up device also back up whatever he has on OS 9 as well as 10.4.11? And does it also back up the actual system software--the OSs 10.4.11 and 9--as well as all the files? So if he needed the backups, he would not need the system discs?)

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 9:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 19, 2015 10:38 AM in response to James Snedeker

I'm sure Tr-Backup 5.1.7 will do everything you want, & far more that TM...

http://www.tri-edre.com/download/download/downloadtbu.html

From the PDF...

Basics ............................................................................... ....................................8

Two types of action: Immediate and Programmed ...........................................................8

What can be backed up or synchronized? ......................................................................8

Bootable copy of your startup disk ............................................................................... ..8

Backing up ............................................................................... ..................................8

Backup placement ............................................................................... ........................9

Restoring ............................................................................... .....................................9

Synchronizing ............................................................................... ...............................9

Multiple configurations ............................................................................... ................10

Backup Strategies ............................................................................... .................11

The copy of your hard disk ............................................................................... ...........11

What kind of backup to use? ............................................................................... .......11

Background execution ............................................................................... .................12

Create configurations for every backup .........................................................................12

Backup of several computers over the network .............................................................12

Back up your backup! ............................................................................... .................12

The Different Modes of Backup .............................................................................13

Manual Backup from the Desktop ............................................................................... 13

Using the Synchronization features ..............................................................................1 3

Immediate Backup ............................................................................... .....................13

Programmed Copy ............................................................................... ......................13

Programmed Mirror Backup ............................................................................... .........13

Programmed Evolutive Mirror Backup ...........................................................................14

Programmed Incremental Backup ............................................................................... .14

The Different Modes of Restoration .......................................................................16

Manual Restoration from the Macintosh Desktop ..........................................................16

Using Synchronization to Restore ............................................................................... .16

Using Immediate Copy to restore........................................................................ .........16

http://www.tri-edre.com/pub/files/tribackup5_en.pdf

Is there a comparable automatic back-up system to Time Machine for 10.4.11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.