Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netinstall clean install

Can anyone advise on the correct setup and usage in order to install Yosemite from a Yosemite server using a netinstall image. I've just tried one and it only appeared to allow us to install over the top, but ideally we want it to wipe the disk and then install.

Many thanks

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 10:06 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2015 10:12 AM in response to stuarta99

Apple provides that service if your model supports Full Internet Recovery: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery.

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Mar 19, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Kappy

Ok so effectively you restart the machine into recovery mode, then wipe the disk with DU, then install OSX (does that grab the NetInstall image? At the moment we've been booting it straight to the NetInstall.

Thinking maybe I need to look at this OS X Server (Mountain Lion): Creating images for NetInstall, NetRestore, and NetBoot - Apple Support so that I can create an image once I've installed apps

Mar 19, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Kappy

I don't have to do it from the server, just thinking it's sat there and made sense. I know they are keen to have an image with all their Adobe apps and office configured so if they wanted to refresh it's all sat there and easy for them to do. But guess I could do that by getting the individual machine setup and then image with their profile settings.

Netinstall clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.