Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading+Using Early 2009 Mini for iTunes 12

I have an early 2009 Mac Mini that I would like to use to store all of my iTunes music so that I can play music from the Mini through a bluetooth speaker. The problem is that I'm a neophyte when it comes to something like this, and so I don't know how to access my older Mac Mini from my iMac, which is running Yosemite 10.10.3.

I have the Mini connected to my iMac via ethernet, but that only gives me access to the hard drive. I assume I will need to upgrade the Mini's operating system in order to allow it to work with iTunes 12, but, again, I can't access the the actual system, just the hard drive.

If someone can walk me through the steps to virtually mount the Mini disk onto my iMac and help me set it up with iTunes, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please know that I have, indeed, Googled just about every different phrase I can think of to find the answer to my questions all, unfortunately, to no avail.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 10:39 AM

9 replies

Mar 19, 2015 11:00 AM in response to lllaass

The early 2009 Mac Mini is running 10.6.8.

The iTunes library I want to use is on my newer iMac. I cannot update the older iTunes software on the Mac Mini because I can't update the operating system of the Mini.

Home sharing does not show my Mac Mini.

Screen sharing only works on my iMac, because I only have access to my iMac's display and screen. So I can't control my own iMac screen, if that makes sense. I can't access the "screen" of the Mac Mini, perhaps, because it's only connected via ethernet and not actually mounted onto my iMac.

Mar 19, 2015 11:19 AM in response to lllaass

The iMac and Mac Mini are currently connected by their ethernet ports. Without this connection, I have no way of "seeing" my Mac Mini because it does not have a display of its own. How else might the Mac Mini's hard drive, for example, be accessed if not connected to a computer that already has a display?

Thank you for the link to the upgrade article. Unfortunately, because I cannot access the operating system of my Mac Mini, I cannot upgrade its operating system to any version.

Perhaps if I explain the current state or function of the early 2009 Mac Mini in the following way it will make my issue more explicit:

• I have an early 2009 Mac Mini running 10.6.8.
  • The Mini has no display.
  • The only wires it has are the A/C cord.
  • When connecting my Mini to my iMac I am able to go to "Go" + "Connect Server" on my iMac, "browse" and then find my Mini. I am then able to access only the Mini's hard drive, which contains an Applications folder, a System folder, a Library folder, and a User folder.

Mar 19, 2015 1:02 PM in response to lfw

When yo connect as a server, you have access to the files on the "server" but you can't run apps like iTunes on the "server".

You run the Mini normally without a mouse, KB and monitor after you set it up for screen sharing. Once setup you can use screen sharing to use the Mini normally via the iMac. Since you a wired connection there is not much lag.

Mar 19, 2015 1:12 PM in response to lllaass

First I want to thank you so much for responding and trying to help.

I do hope you will forgive my lack of know-how, and I hope I don't frustrate you when I say that I do not see how I am supposed to use the Mac Mini at all with a keyboard, mouse, or display.

You state that I should be able to run the Mini "normally" without a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. You also state that once I have screen sharing set up, which I do, I should be able to use my Mini via the iMac. Unfortunately, I can only access the applications folder, System folder, Library folder, and User folder on my Mini, but I cannot use applications like iTunes or Disk Utility because they are outdated. I cannot update them because I don't have access to the Mini's operating system. My iMac appears to be acting as the Mini's main from, so to speak. I do hope this makes sense.

Mar 19, 2015 1:28 PM in response to lfw

You will, with mouse. KB and monitor connected, setup the Mini to allow screens sharing from the iMac. You need the Mini to automatically log into a user and to have it accept screen sharing without have the Mini acknowledge it.

Then yo can disconnect the muse. KB and monitor and then access the Mini from the iMac via screen sharing. Basically you use the iMac's mouse, KB and mouse to use the Mini over the ethernet connection.

Upgrading+Using Early 2009 Mini for iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.