Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in getting apps from App Store?

Hello.

My old iPhone 4S' v8.2's App Store seems to be having problems installing apps (e.g., Google Maps and Prey) since last night. I tried rebooting my iPhone 4S, but that did not help. I still get the same animated circular status and a dark looking app icon with its "Waiting..." title. I have about 11 GB of free disk space too.

What's wrong? Thank you in advance. 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2, Windows XP SP3, & Verizon Wireless

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 10:10 AM

6 replies

Mar 22, 2015 8:42 AM in response to antdude

Hello, antdude.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are experiencing issues updating Apps on your iPhone. Here is the troubleshooting article that I would go through when experiencing this issue.

Troubleshoot issues on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you haven't been able to connect to the iTunes Store:

• Make sure your date, time, and time zone are correct in Settings > General > Date & Time.
    Note: Time Zone may list another city in your time zone.
  • Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by tapping Settings > General > Software Update(iOS 5 or later) or connecting your iOS device to iTunes and clickingCheck for Update
    on your device's Summary page.
  • Check and verify that you're in range of a Wi-Fi router or base station. If you're on a device with cellular service, make sure that cellular data is turned on from Settings > General > Cellular.
    Note: If connected to cellular data, larger items may not download. You may need to connect to Wi-Fi to download apps, videos, and podcasts.
  • Make sure that you have an active Internet connection. You can check the user guidefor your device for help with connecting to the Internet.
  • Make sure that other devices (portable computers, for example) are able to connect to the Wi-Fi network and access the Internet.
  • Try resetting (turning off and then on again) your Wi-Fi router.
  • If the issue persists, try troubleshooting your Wi-Fi networks and connections.

Can't connect to the iTunes Store

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201400

-Jason H.

Mar 22, 2015 11:18 AM in response to jason269

Hello jason269 and thank for you for re(ply/spond)ing. I checked for those. Here is what I can remember doing before it worked again after waiting, pausing, resuming, rebooting once, deleting the stuck Google Maps app, and checking Internet briefly, logging into the Apple ID account in App Store (it is not always logged in unless needed, but it never prompted to log in to get Google Maps updates. It did for a new app though.). I tried another never downloaded app (Prey), but it got stuck too during installation it downloaded. Deleted both apps, rebooted, retried Prey app, it installed. Tried Google Maps app, it worked this time. :/ I don't know why my (fir/1)st Google Maps app deletion didn't fix it.

Does iOS even have any histories, consoles, etc. to show what is happening?

Mar 24, 2015 3:04 PM in response to antdude

I reproduced it again earlier, but with Twitter's app due to its today's update. I tried the usual: pause, stop, delete old app version's installation and its data, reboot, etc. I forgot to mention after rebooting, iOS v8.2 said that my purchased failed even though I was only upgrading the app. I searched for Twitter app to redownload and reinstall, but it wanted me to log in since I logged off my Apple ID account a few days ago (don't like to stay logged in for security reasons). It showed me "get" and installed without any issues. It seems like it requires me to login into my Apple ID account just to update? Is that correct? It didn't even prompt me. 😟

Mar 27, 2015 1:25 PM in response to antdude

Hello antdude,

Thank you for your replies.

It sounds like you're still seeing issues when updating apps.

You may need to sign into the App Store to download and update apps, as mentioned in the support article If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open:

Check for iOS and app updates

1. Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.
  2. Open the App Store and tap Updates.
  3. If updates are available, tap Update All.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID password.

You might need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps.

If you continue to have sporadic issues with updating apps and you're not being prompted to enter your Apple ID information, you may find more information by using another one of Apple's Support resources:

https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

All the best,

Jeremy

Mar 27, 2015 1:39 PM in response to jeremy_v

jeremy_v wrote:

Hello antdude,

Thank you for your replies.

It sounds like you're still seeing issues when updating apps.

You may need to sign into the App Store to download and update apps, as mentioned in the support article If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open:

Check for iOS and app updates

1. Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.
  2. Open the App Store and tap Updates.
  3. If updates are available, tap Update All.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID password.

You might need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps.

If you continue to have sporadic issues with updating apps and you're not being prompted to enter your Apple ID information, you may find more information by using another one of Apple's Support resources:

https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

All the best,

Jeremy

I haven't gotten any new updates yet to retest with my logged in Apple ID account. I did download NEW apps, from App Store, without any problems even though it asked me for my Apple ID password. I will wait for new updated apps with my Apple ID account logged to see if it will ask me for my password. In the past, I always log out of my Apple ID account. I think iOS v8.2 has a bug to ask me to log in when I get the updates. Also, I do not let iOS automatically download updates in the background. I do them manually when I am ready.

Mar 30, 2015 11:36 AM in response to antdude

antdude wrote:

I haven't gotten any new updates yet to retest with my logged in Apple ID account. I did download NEW apps, from App Store, without any problems even though it asked me for my Apple ID password. I will wait for new updated apps with my Apple ID account logged to see if it will ask me for my password. In the past, I always log out of my Apple ID account. I think iOS v8.2 has a bug to ask me to log in when I get the updates. Also, I do not let iOS automatically download updates in the background. I do them manually when I am ready.

Yesterday, there was another Twitter app update. I had no problems downloading and installing its update without my Apple ID account logged out. It seems like there is a bug if the user is logged out and tries to update and install?

Stuck in getting apps from App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.