Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'not connected to internet'

Upgraded iMac to Yosemite

and get a 'not connected to internet'

at start up every time now

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 11:30 AM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2015 11:47 AM in response to evafrombisbee

I don't know how to do that. What I'm directed to do here is turn off my modem, turn it back on and if everything works, I'm fine. And I am. But later when I turn of my computer, and turn it back, I get a 'not connected to internet' notice when I start up Safari and Mail just posts little !s because . . . I'm not connected to the internet.

Mar 19, 2015 12:17 PM in response to evafrombisbee

Disconnect & reconnect your modem. unplug it for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in. Do the same for Apple’s routers. Wait for everything to reboot.

System Preferences>Network

Click the Assist Me button.

In the next window that pops up, click the Diagnostic button & do the necessary.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

What to do when you can't connect to the Internet

=================

If none of the above suggestions work, do the following as a last resort:

1 - Repair permissins & restart your computer.

2 - Run OS Recovery

Disconnect all devices from your computer except for the keyboard & mouse.

Boot up from your computer by holding down the command+r keys. This will take you to the recovery drive.

Select Disk Utility & hit Return.

In Disk Utility select the HD on the left & click on Repair Disk (bottom right).

When you reach the desktop after doing the above, repair permissions & restart your computer.

3 -

Trash the following plist files by going to Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration

com.apple.airport.preferences

preferences

NetworkInterfaces

Repair permissions and restart your computer. If the problem has been resolved, empty the trash. If not, you can return the plist files if you wish. New plist files will be recreated anyways.

User uploaded file

Mar 20, 2015 5:35 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thank you, Baby Boomer. I'd begun using Airport Time Machine (for its backup capabilities only) for the first time prior to upgrading to Yosemite. With the upgraded OS my system needed to reconfigure my network from ethernet access to Wifi (even though I don't use wifi to access my internet . . . it's now 'there') and was a switch that had to happen manually in the Preferences pane you suggested accessing.

Now working at startup, so thank you for your excellent input.

Mar 25, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Sadly I'm back a few days later to report that the 'fix' is only temporary. This issue continues intermittently. The above suggestions solve the problem for one or two restarts, then I'm once again 'Not connected to the internet' and must do all that all over again. I guess these are the famous Yosemite wifi problems. Ironic that I don't use wifi but have Time Machine installed and so I have the problems anyway.

Anybody who finds a permanent fix, please let me know.

Mar 25, 2015 1:56 PM in response to evafrombisbee

evafrombisbee wrote:

Sadly I'm back a few days later to report that the 'fix' is only temporary. This issue continues intermittently. The above suggestions solve the problem for one or two restarts, then I'm once again 'Not connected to the internet' and must do all that all over again. I guess these are the famous Yosemite wifi problems. Ironic that I don't use wifi but have Time Machine installed and so I have the problems anyway.

Anybody who finds a permanent fix, please let me know.

Appears to be. 😟

User uploaded file

'not connected to internet'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.