Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage suddenly stopped working

We have two accounts on our Mac, one for my husband and the other one for me. His iMessage is working fine but mine won't even open. Just started a few days ago and I swear it started when I set-up our Apple TV. I can receive message on iPad and iPhone but not the desktop. When you click on icon it does nothing and the little color wheel starts to spin and never stops. Any suggestions and please don't make it too "geek speak", I am a computer moron. Thanks!!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 2:52 PM

1 reply

Mar 20, 2015 8:22 AM in response to millefleur1

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

iMessage suddenly stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.