Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Time Machine the best choice for a one time backup? I want to free up memory on my computer.

Basically, I want to copy my files to an external drive and delete them all from my computer to get a fresh start. What's the best way to go about this? I still want to be able to access the files I have on my computer now if I ever need them again, but I really want to free up memory so I want them stored externally.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 1:37 PM

2 replies

Mar 19, 2015 5:53 PM in response to AMidnightCrescendo

Time Machine is not an archive service. When the backup device becomes full, Time Machine will start to delete the older backups, and any file that has been deleted from the main drive will NOT be included in newer Time Machine backups.

Eventually files you really wanted to save will be lost.

Do not even think about using Time Machine as an archive.

Please follow Niel's advice, as any file that is not in at least 2 locations is not backed up (preferable in 3 locations).

3-2-1

3 Copies of every file, including the original

2 Different backup formats, so you are protected against bugs in one of the backup utilities

1 Copy off-site, to protect against theft, fire, flood, natural disasters, etc...

Is Time Machine the best choice for a one time backup? I want to free up memory on my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.