Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy a hardrive to be able to access it remotely?

Sadly my Dad passed away and his iMac has stood idle ever since. I do not want to lose his digital identity, but I'd like to clear the computer for another user. Is there a way to copy or back up the computer, then wipe it, but be able to access the copy as though it were a computer? e.g. access his iPhoto library from a remote hardrive?

Thanks in advance

M

iMac, Macbook pro, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 12:47 PM

5 replies

Mar 19, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Mj3rd

Actually quite easy (that is if his OS version isn't older than your OS version): get an external hard drive and either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Hook up the external hard drive, format it for the Mac, and use either applications to create a fully bootable clone (exact copy) on the external hard drive.

You can then plug in the external into your Mac and should be able to access it - if it is the same or newer OS version, you can even boot into it.

After that is done, use either the original install disks (Snow leopard or earlier) or internet recovery (hold down Command + Option + R while booting up until you see a spinning globe/progress bar) - wait to be connected to Apple's servers. Once in the Utilities window, use Disk Utility to erase your drive and reinstall OS). If using the install disk, boot from it by inserting it and holding down the C key while rebooting - erase hard drive and reinstall.

Mar 19, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Mj3rd

We'd need to know if it's a Power PC and which OS is on it. If it's Power PC. then no, an Intel Mac can't boot from it, so you could still do this:

Attach an external hard drive and drag 'n drop photos/files/etc (no applications or the OS) onto the external. Then you can plug that into yours. If it's individual photos, you should be able to open them. If it's files created with Appleworks - maybe if you have 10.6.x and Appleworks, otherwise probably not.

How do I copy a hardrive to be able to access it remotely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.