Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Erase/Install In Target Disk Mode?

I need to reinstall my Mac OS on my 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2011) but I'm having some issues. This began after a restart and I got the grey Apple Hardware Test Screen. The tests ran, and my hardware "appears to be OK". I haven't been able to start successfully in any of the ways that I normally would.

• When I try to start from my hard drive, I get the Apple Logo and a progress bar. The progress bar goes about a third of the way and then my machine turns itself off. Doesn't matter if I hold down the shift key to start in safe mode.
  • When I try to start from my Mac OS X Snow Leopard CD I get the Apple Logo screen then a black box stating "You need to restart your computer" etc.
  • When I boot the hard drive in Target Disk Mode, I'm told Disk Utilities can't repair my disk, and I'll have to format my Hard Drive. (Hardly a surprise given the above)

I have the original disks that came with my computer and Mac OS Snow Leopard. I was going to install the OS using the original disks then update to Mac OS Snow Leopard. This leads me to three questions:

• Can I erase/install the OS while in Target Disk Mode by inserting the Mac OS CDs into my desktop then selecting my laptop as the disk to install on.
  • Because I can still access all of the contents of my hard drive in Target Disk Mode, should I just drag and drop everything into the external hard drive I just bought or is there some sort of disk image-y something or other I should be creating. If so, how do I create the Disk Image?
  • In all likely hood is my internal hard drive just dead?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 2:16 PM

1 reply

Mar 19, 2015 2:31 PM in response to HMSHyperbole

Easy solution is this: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery. Update your firmware if needed. Then:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

To answer the question about Target Disk Mode, the answer is if you can connect two Macs that both have Firewire ports, then you can treat your MBP to TDM so its drive will mount on the other Mac's Desktop. If you can boot the other drive from your Leopard disc, then you can do a clean install of Leopard on your MBP from the other computer.

Can I Erase/Install In Target Disk Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.