Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to disable iCloud keychain.

Recently, I tried turning off my iCloud keychain but it wouldn't let me. Every time I uncheck iCloud Keychain in system preferences, it would recheck itself. It would also not allow me to sign out.

I was able to force it off once when I made another account on the same computer and ressetted the iCloud Keychain. As soon as I deleted the other account on my mac, the iCloud keychain turned itself back on in my own account. Again it would not turn off as it rechecks itself every time I uncheck it.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried disabling autofill and turning off my computer but that did not work.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 1:38 PM

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:40 PM in response to tf245yay

Click on Finder. Click and hold Go at the top in the menu bar while holding down the option key. This will reveal Library, so you can click on Library. Open Keychains.

(Or you can also get there by pressing Command+Shift+G from the desktop. In the window type: ~/Library/Preferences/Keychains)

There should be a folder with a really long random-looking name.

Move it to the trash and restart.

When you go to System Preferences— iCloud keychain should be unchecked. You should be able to Sign Out of iCloud now.

Note that this will probably remove most if not all passwords from your computer, so you’d better have them handy.

Mar 31, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Bud Willner

Maybe there is a better way. But I got this from an Apple Care support call. The first tech tried about 5 things (that I've found all over the web already). Nothing worked. Then she talked with a supervisor for five minutes, came back on the line and walked me through the solution I posted.

So far, I seem somehow to have only lost one password after the dump. (I don't store as many as some people, I'm sure.) I was just happy to be able to sign out after two weeks that included several hours of googling and trying things that never worked.

Mar 31, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Brisem

I just dumped iCloud from my System Preferences/internet accounts. When to Apple ID change and rebooted. Upon Going to Sys Pref/Internet Acct/iCloud, iCloud would not accept new ID/password.

Any suggestions?

I still like the old system before iCloud. It worked. Back in the '60's (Aerospace) cloud computing was a farce and given up. All Cloud computing does is allow manufacturers to make cheaper computers (fewer integrated parts) but charge higher prices.

Unable to disable iCloud keychain.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.