Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.2 updates

hi there anyone please if I try to install ios8.2 on my iPhone 5s currently running iOS 8.1.3 , would it require for me to insert a valid SIM card at the activation menu or it would just startup normally without activation as the fone is locked to Vodafone uk and I don't have the sim card with me anymore and I don't live in the uk ?! many thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 3:55 PM

3 replies

Mar 22, 2015 12:48 PM in response to bashman_

Hi there bashman_

As I understand it you no longer have a working SIM card for the carrier that the phone is locked to, and want to know if updating will make you need the card. According to the following article, it very well may:

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

Note: It may be necessary to repeat this process after updating or restoring the device.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Mar 24, 2015 11:39 AM in response to sterling r

well hi there I already downloaded and installed iOS 8.2 without going back to activation menu .. it just installed and then the fone restarted asking me to put in my password then that's all iOS 8.2 boom without SIM card I installed via OTA on the fone and not iTunes so idk maybe you talking about iTunes or OTA version on fone ?!

Mar 24, 2015 11:42 AM in response to bashman_

There are times you will need a SIM, such as restoring iOS, or if something goes wrong during an update. It must be a SIM for the carrier the phone is locked to, but it need not be a currently active SIM - it can be a SIM that was deactivated when you got a new phone, for example. You only need the SIM during the activation process, so you can borrow one for a few minutes, also.

iOS 8.2 updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.