Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

won't install java 1.8 says version already exists 14.9

I'm trying to create a database in Open Office which I was able to do fine this morning, but now after updating OO it is telling me "no java installation could be found". When I go to oracle to download the latest Java version the machine tells me I already have version 14.9 installed which as far as I can tell from google searching is not an actual version of Java since every link is in another language. I've gone through the forums to see how to delete the version of "java" that I do have off the machine. Opened the terminal and cut and pasted in the command from this post: When trying to install newest Java, computer says a newer one already exists? But it says I need a password to run the command. There is no solution on this thread. So I'd really love for someone to tell me what the heck give here. (I'm running 10.9.5 and trying to use OO 4.1.1. I've gone through the OO forums to no avail as well.)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 2:40 PM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2015 12:30 PM in response to kshea3307

Hey there kshea3307,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you’re running into a password issue after entering a Terminal command that you were hoping would fix an app on your iMac. Take a look at the article below which provides a lot of great information about passwords required when entering sudo commands in Terminal.

Mac OS X: sudo command requires a non-blank admin password - Apple Support

So long,

-Jason

Mar 26, 2015 8:30 PM in response to kshea3307

How I was able to overcome the Java 14.9.0 problem

My iMac (late 2009) was yesterday updated to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and today I updated Java through Apple Store, which resulted in Java 14.9.0 and it was unable to run.

After researching, I found the following path that was 100% successful to delete Java 14.9.0 and able to install Java 10.8.40.

On the System Preference for Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5 go to section:

1. Personal -> Security Privacy -> Firewall -> turn it off

2. General-> Check "Allow application downloaded from anywhere".

(In case if Norton Firewall is on: check it Disabled)

On Finder -> Devices -> Macintosh HD and localize Java Applet Plugin.plugin and move it to trash:

Finder -> Devices -> Macintosh HD -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins -> JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

Go to www.java.com and install Java version 8 update 40.

After following the steps, verify its installation.

Go back to System Preference and localize in the section Other "Java Control Panel". Click on its icon and go to Security and check "Enable Java content in the browser".

Check browser to activate Java Plug in: Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons ->Plugins -> Java Applet Plug-in - Java 8 Update 40

Check "Always Activate " or "Ask to Activate"

Hope these paths help you.

won't install java 1.8 says version already exists 14.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.