Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad and Safari hijacked on a MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now on my third generation iPad. Yesterday, I got it hijacked, with a dialogue box saying to call a 1-888 number to unlock it. This has never happened in years of iPad use, but did one day after I enrolled in Google Plus. Feel free to make a rational conclusion. I will not ask the question of why hackers are always 2 orders of magnitude more competent that corporate IT. Instead, I will ask why no law enforcement agency can track a specific phone number and arrest the ********.

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 3:44 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2015 3:47 PM in response to djfilms99

please follow this step

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

You can use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to factory settings and the latest version of iOS.

Restoring iOS software deletes all your data and content from your device, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, and calendar info.

Before you restore your device

1. Make sure you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Use iTunes to back up your device. Transfer and sync any additional content to your computer.
  3. Turn off Find My iPhone in Settings > iCloud on your device to disable Activation Lock.

Restore your iOS device

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer using the cable that came with it.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes. In the Summary panel, click Restore.User uploaded file
  3. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the iOS software file and restore your iOS device.User uploaded file
  4. After your iOS device is restored to factory settings, it will restart. Once it does, you’ll see the "Slide to set up” welcome screen. Follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. You can set up your device as new or using a previous backup. If your iOS device has cellular service, it will activate after you restore.User uploaded file

Mar 19, 2015 3:50 PM in response to djfilms99

You weren't hacked. You got malware pop-ups. Don't click any links and don't call any phone numbers. For your computer:

Remove Browser Pop-up Problems

AdwareMedic

Adblock Plus 1.8.9

remove adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

For your iDevice you will need to Restore it from iTunes, preferably. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch- Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting.

Mar 19, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Kappy

Kyawlin, Kappy,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your detailed responses, and have noted them. I, of course, realized it was a scam, and did not call the number.I updated the IOS and the immediate problem was solved. But that's not why I am incensed.

The fundamental problem remains: how is it that an Apple device is vulnerable to his type of crap? I've been a Mac user since 1986, and this is the first time my devices have been so violated. And how come the law agencies are impotent to track down a specific phone number?

Mar 19, 2015 5:54 PM in response to djfilms99

I don't think you understand what happened. It came on your browser as it does on any other browser. It has nothing to do with Apple's products. Nothing has been "violated." Your hyperbole is unwarranted and inappropriate. And, you blame law enforcement for their unwillingness to provide information about a phone number. How would you like it if I went around to get your personal information and you found out the police gave it to me? Please, come down to planet Earth.

Mar 19, 2015 5:59 PM in response to djfilms99

I can only add my opinion--It is not that the Apple device is any more venerable--it has more to do with what the user chooses to install and the web sites he chooses to visit. This type of malware has become a part of poorly designed or malicious websites. Also the user must pay close attention to what may be added to anything he chooses to download. Pay attention and uncheck any of the items (usually in very small print) that you do not want on your computer.

Mar 19, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I understand perfectly what happened: someone reached across the internet and froze my browser. Is is acceptable to you? I accept that perhaps Apple's programmers may not be at fault, but it is certainly the fault of HTML loopholes (and Java?). And deliberately freezing a browser in order to extract money to unfreeze it is without doubt a criminal act. I would have no problem if the police gave you my phone number if I attacked you with criminal act. Such insouciance as you display encourages criminal acts.

IPad and Safari hijacked on a MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.