Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Linux: 10.6 Needed?

I'm trying to install a Linux distro on my Intel iMac (5,3) with Mac OS X 10.7.5. I've created a number of coasters trying to burn install discs that will boot from my external DVD drive (LG M-Disk Super Multi). Over and over again I get either "No operating system found" or just a blinking cursor with a black screen. VirtualBox installs Linux to a virtual hd without a hitch, but I'd like Linux installed on my physical hd. I've read 10.7 has made some massive changes in the EFI boot and 10.6 is recommended. Is that valid information?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 8:22 PM

4 replies

Apr 10, 2015 7:33 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy: I have tried the following: REFit/REFind/Option/CMD-C. The Linux penguin will appear in the choices, but the following tux screen remains. I've tried the "legacy os" option, as well, but they display "No operating system." The same CD, placed in the same DVD player, but attached to a 10-year-old PC, is recognized, boots and installs. No luck with the Mac, though.

Install Linux: 10.6 Needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.