Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto upgrade issue: external HD library saying zero kb and error message on iPhoto

On opening iPhoto using my library stored on an external (Seagate) HD, I was told to upgrade. There was no choice to not upgrade - choices: upgrade / quit.

On clicking on upgrade, the following message appeared:

Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable. Shut down and restart your computer, and then open iPhoto again. If the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command keys pressed. You can also try restoring your photo library from a backup.

On checking the iPhoto library on the HD, it is saying zero kb, although on going into the database there is data stored there.

I started to follow the instructions as above, however as the first instruction on the rebuild option is to make a back-up and the file seems to be empty, I wasn't sure if I should back-up this file.

External disk: Seagate

External disk format: Windows NT Filesystem (have been using this for eight months with no problem)

iPhoto version: 9.5.1

The odd part (to me) is that there is no problem when I open iPhoto with the library stored on the Mac (much smaller in size) - no request for upgrade. It's only when I open with the library stored on the external HD.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 4:45 AM

9 replies

Mar 20, 2015 5:03 AM in response to hsm33

An iPhoto Library needs to be on a drive, that is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). If your drive has a different file system, you must not store an iPhoto library there. Also the drive should be directly connected and not remotely mounted. You have been lucky, if it worked previously.

See. iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

iPhoto libraries should be stored on a locally mounted Mac OS X Extended drive for best performance.

On checking the iPhoto library on the HD, it is saying zero kb, although on going into the database there is data stored there.

Is that, what you are seeing in the Finder, when you look at the file size?

although on going into the database there is data stored there.

Are there folders "Masters", "Old Masters" with image files inside?

If the size of your library has shrunk, your best bet would be to restore the iPhoto Library from the last backup you made before the upgrade.

Mar 20, 2015 5:03 AM in response to hsm33

External disk format: Windows NT Filesystem (have been using this for eight months with no problem)

And today your luck ran out.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more.

So you need to move the Library to an appropriately formatted disk. Then you can try rebuild it.

Mar 20, 2015 5:40 AM in response to léonie

Thanks both for your help.

When I bought the drive, it said it would work on apple/windows as I need to work between both for certain files. However, knowing now that a windows formatted HD is not reliable for iPhoto, I'll have a separate one just for the iPhoto.

Masters file : yes, on the HD the Masters file is there and full of photos - if I open one, the photo shows in Preview programme.

Moving the Library: I currently have few options as I don't have another HD and cannot buy one where I live. My only option is to put it back onto the Mac, but I already have a library on the Mac. So I need to copy the Library from the Mac and put it elsewhere - is it possible to put on iCloud or another virtual storage place to access when needed? If so, can I then copy the iPhoto library from the HD onto the Mac, replacing the former one? Would I copy the Library file or the Masters file within it where I can see the files are stored?

As you can tell, I'm a novice in all of this, so thanks for bearing with me.

Mar 20, 2015 7:35 AM in response to hsm33

No, there is no cloud storage, that will work with iPhoto. an external drive for the library needs to be directly connected. Don't even think about putting the iPhoto library into a Dropbox folder or on iCloud drive.

THe new Photos app for Mac, to be released soon, will support a photo library in iCloud, but right now, it is only available for beta testers.

DOn't you have enough storage for two libraries on your Mac? You could rename one of them, before you move the library back.

Mar 20, 2015 7:42 AM in response to léonie

I can put them both on the Mac, there's enough space.

Again, perhaps a ridiculous question, but I suppose I copy the iPhoto library straight across even though it says 0kb?

One question: why does it say 0kb on the Library file if inside the file all of the photos are stored in the Masters folder?!

Mar 20, 2015 9:06 AM in response to hsm33

Again, perhaps a ridiculous question, but I suppose I copy the iPhoto library straight across even though it says 0kb?

try it. It won't make the situation any worse as it's a copy you are doing.

One question: why does it say 0kb on the Library file if inside the file all of the photos are stored in the Masters folder?!

Cecause the disk format doesn't understand the package.

Mar 21, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

I copied the Library across to the Mac and the following message came up:

"The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “iPhoto Library” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)"

iPhoto tried to rebuild the library, but after six hours nothing happened.

As I can see the photos are in the Masters folder and I can access them, I am copying folder by folder and then importing into iPhoto. Long way around, but at least they're there.

The next HD I buy for my photos will be iPhoto compatible.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help out, is much appreciated.

Mar 21, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Yer_Man

When you "rebuild the Library to the new location", how is this done?

I downloaded iPhoto Library Manager. The Library on the HD is showing in the left hand column. I selected 'rebuild library', but it didn't import the photos, the log is saying error importing and on opening iPhoto, the message "your photo library is in use..." comes up.

Can I do it another way?

Apologies, just ticked the 'scavenged orphaned photos' box and it's rebuilding...

iPhoto upgrade issue: external HD library saying zero kb and error message on iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.