Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add a shortcut on the Finder Toolbar

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I'd like to add a shortcut for "Recent Documents" on top of the Finder toolbar. I know that you can locate it within the Finder toolbar via menus but I'd like to have it displayed on top of the Finder toolbar for quick access.

I've searched the Apple Community and the Internet and haven't been able to find any information related to what I'm trying to do. Is this something that can be done in Snow Leopard?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 9:37 AM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2015 10:27 AM in response to palarin

Recent Documents for "What"?

Recent Documents tend to be app specific.

If you have a smart folder that collects the files you want to see, you could then drag and drop the smart folder onto your Finder toolbar.

Or you would write an Automator workflow, save it as an app, then drag the app you created to the Finder toolbar.

You can do the same with an Applescript.

Can you give more information about what you expect to see and how you expect it to behave?

Mar 25, 2015 12:52 PM in response to BobHarris

I replied to your question 5 days ago but I haven't heard back from you, so I wanted to see if you could provide me with more information? Previously, there was a shortcut on top of the Finder's toolbar at the top of the screen. When I clicked on it, my "Recent Documents/Excel" list of files were displayed. For some reason, that shortcut is gone and I'd like to be able to recreate it. I know that you can get to the "Recent Documents" list via the Finder Toolbar Menu but I prefer to have this on top of the Finder toolbar for quick access.

You mentioned trying to use a Smart Folder, Automator Workflow or Applescript, I'm a beginner when it comes to iMac, so I don't know how to do any of those. Could you please provide me with the steps on how I can place a "Recent Documents" list on top of the Finder's toolbar at the top of the screen? I can follow steps but I just need to know how to do it.

Thank you!

How to add a shortcut on the Finder Toolbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.