Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change a floating image

every text box and image I add is floating and the options to change that are gray. I cannot make them anchored or inline - how to change that?

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 9:36 AM

4 replies

Mar 21, 2015 12:48 AM in response to gabin

How did you get the images onto the page... and ditto the text box? Is the template used changed in any way...and is, did the changes include text boxes?

IT is difficult to offer advice, some folk change things just in the page...other try to change the template and forget to unlock the element.

Text boxes seem the odd one out....it's one of the most simple inserts....unless the various elements of you page are all locked.

Mar 21, 2015 7:22 AM in response to vinnyvg

Thanks. From the questions you're asking, I feel like I've forgotten some very basic things about templates. i did a workshop a year ago and probably have forgotten a lot.

I am creating pages that don't fit the existing templates. I get the closest, delete a lot and drag and drop. I'm not unlocking anything, which seems to be really important.

It seems like there's a big gap here. I've searched the support site, but I haven't been able to find a definitive, complete answer. Can you suggest a good please I can bone up on templates. I'd be thrilled if you gave me the basics in bullet points, but if it's a lot, it doesn't seem like a fair request.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2015 2:35 PM in response to gabin

The workshop you attended should have addresses the basics at least.

There is no easy to advise you and you complicate the problems by apparently trying to push a square peg into a round hole!

The iBooks Author page is 1024 x 748 - thats it ! You need to adjust your content to fit the page. There is a scrolling text widget if you want to have relevant text on one page.

When any menu item is greyed out - its because what you want to apply it to - does not qualify. WHY it does not qualify is in most instances because something has been changed incorrectly or the target is locked. Select the item and open ARRANGE top menu look to see if the Lock / Unlock options are greyed out or active and apply accordingly.

Templates and pages.

People change pages and often expect that change to active for the whole book... its not its one page. I assume your workshop explained how to open the left column BOOK slide down to reveal the template pages.

With respect - I am assuming this is your first book and have not yet mastered the basics.

I would suggest you put your project to one side and spend a few of your session with iBooks Author, to open a new book from an an untouched Apple template and see what you can do moving and changing things. Look in the Inspector to see if elements are locked or not.. the easy option to check the vertical line separating two columns of text on a page. select one - at top and bottom appear to small Xs - its locked. Open ARRANGE and the "Locked" should deb greyed out..click UNLOCK - the Xs go and you can move the line or delete it.

The same happens with any elements used to create the template.

As for your current problems. From what you say you efforts to shoehorn content into your page - may be the cause and without knowing every detail of your work... its impossible to offer a solution.

There is a free iBook which I think is one of the best. Try here... www.ibook-widgets.com or search the iBooks store for "create your first interactive book"

How do I change a floating image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.