Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 technical preview on a early 2006 iMac?

I have read that you can install the Windows 10 technical preview on a Mac. I downloaded the x84 and the x64 ISO files and burned them each to a separate disk using an ISO burner. The computer that I am installing it on is a 20 inch Early 2006 iMac. I run Bootcamp, the computer restarts, but no matter which disk I use, I always get the infamous "select cd rom boot type" error message. Any suggestions?

Hardware:

iMac4,1

Intel Core Duo

2 GB Memory

Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 11:10 AM

Looking at the hardware of your iMac, Microsoft supports it without any problem in order to run Windows 10, but not Apple, as there are no recent Boot Camp drivers for that computer.

I'd recommend you to install Windows 10 on a virtual machine if you want to try it, but you need to increase the RAM before. If not, try downloading Windows 10 and burning it with a different computer, as the ISO image is probably not burned properly, but remember that you may have serious issues.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2015 11:10 AM in response to luigiman2018

Looking at the hardware of your iMac, Microsoft supports it without any problem in order to run Windows 10, but not Apple, as there are no recent Boot Camp drivers for that computer.

I'd recommend you to install Windows 10 on a virtual machine if you want to try it, but you need to increase the RAM before. If not, try downloading Windows 10 and burning it with a different computer, as the ISO image is probably not burned properly, but remember that you may have serious issues.

Windows 10 technical preview on a early 2006 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.