Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Advanced][WiFi] Potential Temporary WiFi fix

This isn't a question. It's a solution. On behalf of the community I would like to post a temporary fix that I found at work yesterday while investigating WiFi problems with Yosemite. To my knowledge this has yet to be fixed.

(Apologies, the last one had a browser issue and I could not submit an edit in time; the other was not tagged correctly. I'm sorry for the redundant posts but I want people to see this in hopes of fixing their WiFi)

There is a specific Wi-Fi protocol that has been shown as faulty. Many users will find little to no Wi-Fi problems connecting to specific routers/access points such as the Airport family but the very same people have problems with other routers. Asus, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, etc. are out there and have different configurations form Airport. As such I will leave a disclaimer: Just like other "solutions" on the internet, your mileage may vary. This is not a 100% guaranteed fix. Please understand that this may not work for you or your router does not have/allow this feature (to be modified).

Wi-Fi uses a protocol dubbed 802.11h. It consists of two features

• Dynamic Frequency Selection
  • Transmission Power Control

As a quick explanation, DFS actively monitors for devices that host an SSID that creates interference. Upon detection it will change the operating channel it is on to one that does not overlap this (ie. 2.4GHz will go to 1, 6, or 11). TPC detects foreign SSID broadcasts (that do not overlap) and calculates what power level/signal strength it should broadcast its own signal at. These are extremely helpful in high-congestion areas where multiple routers/access points broadcast a unified network in order to ensure a device may roam point-to-point without having their connection dropped.

In Yosemite TPC has shown a critical flaw. When certain network devices are able to scale their broadcast power level in small levels it causes Yosemite to miscalculate. For the tech-savvy:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6825371

At work we had discovered that 802.11h must be disabled in order for Yosemite to work. If not disabled, Yosemite was able to connect to only the 5GHz channels 36, 40, 44, 48. Anything above this and all 2.4GHz channels failed to work after given DHCP information. If you are having issues and can disable this on your router, do it and test.Without disabling it all Yosemite devices would not even be able to ping the gateway. An initial connection could be made but any attempts thereafter immediately failed. The 2.4GHz band allowed up to 30 seconds before failing entirely.

Again, not all routers allow this to be edited. Some might show no change. You can try to manually change your 5GHz band to a 36-48 channel and see if that helps.

If you have questions and/or issues, please chain them here. If this resolves your problem, please monitor your network for a day before claiming that it is "fixed." After confirming, please post your router here so that we can help reduce the amount of searching other users will have to do.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mid/Late 2014 15"

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 2:13 AM

Totally worked!! Thank you!!

Logged into my mobile broadband modem moved to 5GHz and disabled 802.11h and voila - consistent and speedy internet restored to my mid 2013 Macbook Air after the Maverick upgrade! Been looking for a reliable solution for a couple of months and here it is!

Love your work!

1 reply

[Advanced][WiFi] Potential Temporary WiFi fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.