Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview crashing with large photos on iMac 5K

Not sure if this is a Yosemite Beta (10.10.3 - 14D105g) problem, or if it's the base model iMac 5K, but when I try and view these 'High resolution comparisons: Canon 5DS R vs the world' that I downloaded, either Preview crashes or my machine reboots. It only happens with the photos I've physically downloaded; if I just open and view them in Safari it seems fine? Specifically, the Canon photos seem to make Preview crash, and the large Pentax photo makes the machine reboot. I wonder if anyone else with a similar setup could give this a try and see if it's the same.

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 4:22 PM

5 replies

Apr 10, 2015 5:01 PM in response to PJJSPA

I have the same problem too. The preview app crashes my iMac 5K when viewing any image bigger than 3Mb.

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D131). I've tried with other Mac (Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, older iMac) and doesn't have this problem. The crash is nearly instantaneous, open and image and in 2 seconds the iMac 5K is rebooting.

When using any other program to view or work with the photos it works just fine. So i supose that it's something introduced in the preview app in this last update¿?

Apr 11, 2015 6:59 AM in response to liwyatan

I have the same problem on a non-retina late 2013 27inch iMac, a fairly instant Kernel Panic on opening a large JPEG with 10.10.3's Preview.

The crash first appeared on a 7482 x 7447 22MB JPEG created as a 1600dpi scan of a CD cover. A PNG of the same thing was OK as was a smaller JPEG scan at 1200dpi.

Setting "Size on screen equals size in printout" in Preview's Images Preferences evades the problem here.

Size isn't the only issue on my iMac, not all large JPEGs cause the Kernel Panic.

I started a thread in the Yosemite forum, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6984347?answerId=28040899022#28040899022&ac_cid=op123456#28040899

Apr 12, 2015 12:22 PM in response to david pitt

I have the exact same problem when trying to look at JPEG's however size is also not a common thread. For example, I was able to preview a 48mb JPEG but not a 24mb JPEG which then caused a kernel panic. I have a late 2013 27" iMac and have now had 4 kernel panics in twenty minutes and all of this happened after the 10.10.3 upgrade. Going to attempt a reinstall of the OS.

Apr 13, 2015 7:40 AM in response to PJJSPA

Same setup as you - base retina iMac. I can reproduce the crash just by navigating to a large jpg in the Finder (like 5 MB or more), or trying to open a large jpg in a program like Photoshop or Preview. Smaller jpgs (500K size or so) seem okay. I'm wondering if there's a new system integration with the new Photos app in 10.10.3 that is causing the problem. In other words - I preview a jpg in finder, and Photos is "looking" at it in case I want to open it in Photos? And it doesn't know what to do with a 20 MB jpg?

Apr 13, 2015 4:16 PM in response to PJJSPA

There's another thread on this very same problem at:Re: iMac 5K crashes when selecting large jpegs.

You can visit it to see my progress report. It's funny, I first discovered this problem with the same Canon 5Dr file!! However, any large jpeg is a problem. One new note, this is the first time I've seen complaints from non-5K users. As a point of reference, the tech supervisor at Apple I was working with downloaded a Canon 5Dr image on his 27-inch (non-5K, OS 10.3) and it displayed just fine.

Preview crashing with large photos on iMac 5K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.