Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have Apple fixed anti-reflective coating for 2015 MBPs?

I'm about to buy a 2015 Macbook Pro 13", but have just seen the Staingate reports about problems with the Anti-Reflective screen coating separating in the 7 months after purchase on Macbook models since 2012. I'm clearly concerned.

So here's a really simply question. Have Apple identified the problem and changed the coating on their latest 2015 models? Or are they in denial and using the same coating so this problem could also affect any Macbook I buy now?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 11:49 PM

13 replies

Mar 21, 2015 12:14 AM in response to WineBuffTraveller

As far as I know, Apple has not said anything about that problem yet, and we do not know if that problem is fixed in the Early 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro. However, note that this issue does not affect all MacBook Pro with Retina display users. It is up to you to get a MacBook Pro, or get a MacBook Air instead (or the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro without Retina display).

I have got a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina display, and its display is working as it should be. I hope that problem does not show up.

May 5, 2015 7:41 AM in response to WineBuffTraveller

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) which I purchased in December 2013. The anti-reflective coating is separating from the display. I'd like to know if Apple has fixed the problem in new models, too. I have a friend who called just yesterday asking me if I recommended that he buy an Apple laptop, and, sadly, I had to advise him against it. It's a solid machine with a secure and stable operating system, but what good is it if the display isn't as beautiful as advertised?

Jul 4, 2015 3:05 PM in response to WineBuffTraveller

It's still too early to say, in most cases that have been reported so far, the problem seems only to have manifest itself after about 8-12 months or more of regular use.

From reading through this thread on the support forums (Re: My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!) there are more and more people with the 2014 model who's coatings are also now starting to fail. If you search through some of the more recent postings you will also find a link to a German magazine which claims that the 2015 model appears not to have the coating applied at all, which I can neither confirm nor deny, but certainly had me raising an eyebrow.

My own late 2013 model only started to peel off after 18 months (yesterday, hence my late reply to your post), but then I've seldom had any reason to clean it since it's mostly used in clamshell mode on my desk and I've babied it from the day I purchased it, including cleaning it as per Apple's recommendations using the supplied, apple-branded cloth, sometimes slightly moistened with a few drops of water.

Best of luck in your buying decision, I'd be very wary of any retina macbook purchase before hearing something official from Apple on this topic.

Sep 11, 2015 12:23 PM in response to WineBuffTraveller

I'm also curious to know if this issue affects the 2015 models. I just ordered one the other day, and had I known about this issue beforehand, I might've gone with a different laptop.

It does seem that more people are getting their screens replaced recently than in the beginning of the issue, so I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this problem while my warranty is still in effect.

Sep 27, 2015 4:04 AM in response to Iris717

They haven't done anything, they refuse to help or even acknowledge anything other than the usual BS about using the correct cleaning products and oils on the skin etc.

One of the major problems, this is for most people, is that they use their MacBooks to partially (70%+) fund the purchase of a newer model, when the time comes. That's all part of the Apple customer lifecycle. This breaks that circle leaving people unable to sell their MacBooks at a decent price, due to the damage on the display. This will literally knock £200 off the price of mine.

So I've decided not to even bother selling it to upgrade. I'm not upgrading. I'm waiting, to see what apple do. I may switch to a macbook air if that isn't having the same issues. I need a bit of power but it's not like I'm rendering stuff. I leave that for the workstations at my office (iMacs) Another thing we've had problems with (corners of display blackening) but I won't go off subject here.

I mentioned in another post.... I really do think this is caused by human oils on the fingertips.

If you're listening Apple; Your machines are made for human use, not just to perch in your shops looking awesome whilst people gawp over how pretty they look and play with photo booth. Us, industry professionals use your machines heavily on a daily basis. We're the ones that have been here since the start. It saddens me that you can't admit a flaw and help us out when we're the ones constantly marketing you by word of mouth.

My MBPr looked beautiful when I got it. I never get bored of ordering new MacBooks / iMacs and seeing them in their full glory in my home or office. I looked after it as I do with every Apple product I've bought for over 13/14 years, with great care and attention. I guess it didn't work because right now my macbook looks just dirty and ugly to be quite frank. I even took the measure of making sure my hands were washed and clean before using it to make sure the keyboards didn't get that horrible looking gloss after 2 months. Which they did anyway. One of my pet hates since the new keyboards (black) were launched.

Here's a pic of the stains or AG rubbed off on the top of my MBPr late 2013.

I run my own business, I use this laptop to visit clients with. If they see me with a macbook that looks all oily and messy they can quite literally judge me on that, and not hire my company. So each time I see a potential client and open my MBPr I do jokingly explain to them "Can you believe the AG display has worn off after just over 1 year, oh Apple, haven't their standards dropped recently hahaha" and so on". They usually agree.

Not only does it affect the macbook aesthetically, it also affects the light sensor, so if I have "automatically adjust brightness" on it is all over the place with every movement or shadow. The camera looks terrible so I can't FaceTime with it anymore.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I used to love Apple. I would be their best salesman to all my friends, family and clients, who mostly made the switch.

Now I just moan about them and moan about the lack of other choice I have. I really on the OSX / iOS eco system. I'm a graphic designer by trade (I run an agency), I know probably hundreds of shortcuts for photoshop, illustrator, indesign, after effects, lightroom.

With a revenue of 200 Billion dollars in 2014 AND a whopping 138 Billion Dollars surplus (money just sitting in a bank not being used) it's absolutely mind boggling why they wouldn't just fork out to fix this issue. Just to put things in perspective as it's so hard to visualise money at that scale. A million is equal to a thousand thousands (1,000 x 1,000). A billion is equal to a thousand millions (1,000 x 1,000,000).

To be honest, knowing Apple it's more about the fact they don't want to admit something is wrong with their product. it's always the "users fault" We're probably using our MacBooks wrong guys and girls, sorry get over it.

I just feel my excitement for buying a new apple product is diminishing because I know something will go wrong with it, the quality isn't there, the magic isn't there and most importantly the care isn't there anymore. Let's just hope something changes to help customers who've been affected by design flaws, because that's what they are and at these prices we shouldn't have to replace a laptop after 18 months.

Thanks for reading

James

Sep 27, 2015 9:25 AM in response to mediaraft

Just an update, I called apple and I'm going to a genius bar so they can "determine whether it's a hardware issue or my fault". I'm literally going to show them the plethora of posts here on apple discussions. Under EU law I am protected and will ensure that my device is replaced no matter what.

I was also about to buy a couple of new apple products for my office but this has completely put me off. I'm thinking mac mini's with monitors now. Even our 27" iMacs have had problems with discolouration in the corners, so won't be buying one of those again.

Can't believe this is happening and Apple still haven't acknowledged the problem. The are too proud to admit that their magical products have problems. You know what though, I think we'd all respect them more if they did acknowledge problems more often and help their customers out who have spent a lot of money with them on these devices.

<Links Edited By Host>

Oct 9, 2015 2:27 PM in response to jeejay

I've been trying to find that "German magazine which claims that the 2015 model appears not to have the coating applied at all" …. but still can't find a link or even a google search response to that source.

Do you have any source, if even hidden somewhere on the Apple community where I could read that "claim"?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2016 1:05 PM in response to DavidMac

Please post if you ever find that link. Or post if you have any updated information please.

I too, was planning on purchasing a new MacBook Pro, but in spite of endless searching I cannot find if Apple has fixed the problem on the new models. Nor which models were affected. It freaks me out to spend so much money and then have the screen go bad after a while. Worse is that Apple has nothing to say about it. OK, they are finally fixing bad screens, but there has been no official word or any reassurance that the problem has been fixed on the newer models.

Jan 15, 2016 3:37 AM in response to wendpick

I bought a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) in July 2015 and now 6 months after the purchase, the anti-reflective coating has problems.

I never cleaned with any liquid before, just using a soft brush and a soft fiber cloth to carefully rub off some smears.

As the screen was getting really dirty, I went to an official Apple reseller and bought a wet cleaning system called "Whoosh", a product they recommended to me. Today I used it to clean the screen. It cleaned very well but now I have stains all around the periphery of the screen and in the middle. The stains in the middle seem to be the result of a contact with the keyboard keys. It seems quite obvious that the anti-reflective coating is now damaged. It looks awful and I am concerned that this is just the beginning.

It seems the "staingate" issue has not been fixed and I would advise people not to buy this otherwise great product until the issue has been solved. For such a high priced laptop this kind of issue should not happen at all. I never had this problem with any other laptop or screen from any other manufacturer.

I am just in the process to migrate all my computing systems from Microsoft to Apple. I just hope that their service organisation will agree to do the repair under warranty and I will report here the results.

Feb 20, 2016 9:28 AM in response to WineBuffTraveller

Hello, have you get any answer or solution tu your screen problem?

I have the same problem, and every day it´s going more bad. First it's start with the contact to the keyboard keys and so on...

The problem is, I board the MacBook Pro Retina, Model, A1502 (EMC 2875) Retina Mid-2014 13" in Ecuador for more then 2.500 USD and I don't think they will give me good service and solution.

How many days they need to replace the screen?

Thanks for some help and answer.

My screen look like a cheap PC...

User uploaded file

Have Apple fixed anti-reflective coating for 2015 MBPs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.