Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac cannot detect external hard disk

My mac is running oin OSX 10.8.5. It cannot detect a hard disk that was originally detected before. This happened after I took out the hard disk a previous I used it without ejecting it properly. thanks!

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 11:45 PM

8 replies

Feb 2, 2016 5:38 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Last week external hard disk (Seagate Go Flex Desk 2TB) dissappered from Finder. I have checked in Disk Utility, it is not there. Also the lights on the external drive does not light up. Am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

I also connected the seagate drive to another mac book and it did not read also.

The drive was working perfectly for about 1.5 years until last week. The USB and power cable is working as I have checked it on PC - the seagate drive runs/and lights up. I am suspecting the USB cable was improperly ejected and am not sure if this is the problem.

Feb 5, 2016 7:37 PM in response to kalaikc

If the PC sees it, do not physically separate the enclosure and drive just yet. Does the drive run off USB power or wall power? I run all USB devices through a wall-powered USB hub instead of through the USB port on my Mac.

Or it may not be this.

Another reason to not physically separate them yet ... at least some WD external drive combos have interface cards that perform special encoding on the drive contents and the drive may be unreadable if not attached through the original interface card.

mac cannot detect external hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.