Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conditional Highlighting limitations

I need to have 16 different color fills in a cell.Numbers only allow 15 rules. Is there a way to enlarge the number of rules per cell? Or, is there a way to create a rule to change the fill of a cell to the color of a referenced cell rather than to the color chart.

As an example, I wanted to make a NCAA tournament chart with each team having a different color. As I fill in the chart, the fills of the advancing teams change. But it only allow me to do 15 teams and their are 16 teams in each division.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 9:37 PM

19 replies

Mar 20, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Yellowbox

Unfortunately, that is what I have done. I can only do this 15 times with 15 different colors. Then it will not let me do it the 16th time. I either need to be able to make 16 rules for one cell or I need to be able to say change the fill color to the same color as cell A1 for example.

I am using the rule for text is a cell referrence.

Thank you for the comeback though although it does not solve my problem.

Mar 21, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks for the effort.

Since my sheet looks like a basketball bracket (It is), it would be possible to get by with 15 rules if you could change the color by referencing another cell to get it's color.

I am afraid that the limitation of 15 rules is driven by Apple's desire to make Numbers for the Mac compatible with Numbers for the Ipad.

Oh well, I guess you cannot have everything. I really like the conditional highlighting. I will drop Apple a line.

Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2015 7:21 AM in response to feaco1

Hi Ian

You seem pretty savvy about Numbers, so I will ask you one other quick question. I think Excel or the old Lotus 123 used to have a fucion that would allow you to either use a value in a cell as the name on the tab for that sheet or it would allow you, using a function, to put the page name in a cell on the sheet.

For example. I have a spreadsheet with each page being a separate identical spreadsheet with different data for different weeks. As it is now, when I copy the master sheet to make a new spreadsheet for another week, it would be nice if when I change the name of the new page to let me use the date and have it come up in the bdginning cell of the spreadsheet,

I am afraid that this wish may also be too much for Numbers. I would much prefer ,ore rules above.

Thanks again for your comments above. You did get my problem correct. I think I would also ask Apple to put the custom style at the top since everything I do is usually a custom color.

Frank

Mar 21, 2015 7:30 AM in response to t quinn

Hi quinn

In this case I can live with 16 colors. I have another spreadsheet that I use that has a requirement for 64 colors. Since I have been working most recently with the smaller spreadsheet I use it as an example.

I would be dead in the water if the spreadsheet had 20 colors.

Thanks for the comment

Frank

Mar 21, 2015 5:32 PM in response to feaco1

Hi Frank,

Sixteenth colour:

User uploaded file

Behind Table 1 is another table. Table name is set to white so it won't show through.

Select the Body Cells B2 to B17 in Table 1 and Format Panel > Cell > Fill > No Fill. That doesn't affect the conditional highlighting rules.

Select the body cells A2 to A17 in Table 2.

Conditional Highlighting for Table 2:

User uploaded file

Slide Table 2 behind Table 1.

Document in on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu2ldl60le7omv6/cond%20hilite%2016th%20%28non%29%20rul e.numbers?dl=0

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 24, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Yellowbox

Thank you Yellowbox for your sample.

It has taken a few days but I was able to fit it in my spreadsheet. I have done a sample of approximately 1/4 of the spreadsheet using your solution. If you are interested, you are welcome to see what it does.

The funny thing of all this is this year it did not matter since none of the number 16 teems won their first game. haha.

Let me know if you are curious and I will put it on Dropbox (I have not used dropbox before, but I did open an account when I got your file).

Thanks for your help Way back in the old days I was on the Quattro Pro beta team and we used to send spreadsheet solutions back and forth. In those days there was no internet, but if you were working with Borland, they gave you access to a free bulletin board on Compuserve where you could trade files and comments. Those were fun days.

Mar 25, 2015 1:12 AM in response to feaco1

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the Dropbox link. A really creative example of how Numbers can work. I like the "Sweet Sixteen" label on the table on the 2015 sheet. A sweet way to include 16 colours 🙂.

I like the way that the winning team in each round carries forward to the next round complete with its colour. A good, intuitive way to follow a team's progress.

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 6, 2015 7:42 PM in response to feaco1

I have found a separate, slightly "Kludgey" solution!

When adding new rules to conditional highlighting, it only cuts you off at 15 rules if the rules actually contain text!

What that means is you are able to add many more than 15 rules SO LONG AS YOU DO NOT ADD ANY INFO TO THE RULES UNTIL ALL HAVE BEEN MADE! I will attach a picture with proof.

now as soon as you start adding parameters to your rules it cuts you off, so make sure you have all the rules you need before editing them.

Also I've found that sometimes randomly the rules may not take effect, 1 out of 22 in one of my spreadsheet templates works about 75% of the time...

when that situation arises I use the "table-behind-table" technique described above.

This was driving me crazy as I needed 22 different numbers leading to 3 different colors and "# between X-Y" was not working because of formatting.

it seems to work! And numbers handles the extra rules just fine, I have not tested an upper limit though. would be interesting to see if there is one.

I really hope this helps someone like me in the future. I don't think it's an accepted workflow, but whatever works right?

Notice that "Add a Rule..." is still highlighted as available. Until I add text to any of my rules, I can keep adding more and then edit them all when I'm finished.

User uploaded file

Conditional Highlighting limitations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.