Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default IPv6 Delegated Prefix in Airport Extreme with Auto IPv6 Configuration

I have Airport Extreme (ac version) running f/w 7.7.3. I have a DSL modem in bridge mode to Airport Extreme so that the Airport makes the PPoE connection to my ISP with a static IPv4 address.

My ISP provides IPv6 as follows:

Native 'dual-stack' IPv4 and IPv6 enabled :

When you login, you will be assigned, via a dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 PPP session:

- Your existing IPv4 address (if static) and any existing framed route(s)

- A dynamic /64 IPv6 prefix for your PPP session

- A static /56 IPv6 prefix for your LAN (if you are using a router with Prefix Delegation)

If I attempt to use Automatic IPv6 Configuration the Airport Extreme provides IPv6 Delegated Prefix of 2002:cb7a:e2af:/48

However my ISP tells me:

Your delegated static /56 IPv6 prefix for your LAN is: 2001:44b8:1f6:a100

Because I get a dynamic /64 IPv6 prefix for my PPP session I can't use Manual Configuration, so I get IPv6 Relay Error because of the difference between the default Delegated Prefix assigned by the Airport Extreme and the static one assigned by my ISP.

Since I can't use manual configuration because I get a dynamic PPP session address from my ISP, how can I set the Delegated Prefix in the Airport Extreme to the required default setting and still use Automatic Configuration, or how can I get automatic configuration to pick up the Designated Prefix from the ISP and overwrite its default?

Cheers

Frank

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), MBP, mini, iPad mini, iPhone5s

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 9:44 PM

4 replies

Mar 7, 2016 7:34 AM in response to PhantomFrank

Have been struggling with same intermitent issues for a month on Cox Cable, since updating to new Cisco Modem 3008 and Airport Extreme AC.

Finally found a cox technician who I think has resolved it. He explained that Cox's Dual Stack strategy for transition from iPv4 to iPv6 does not play nice with Airport AC and that this is a known issue.

Solution:

Apple AirPort Utility > Internet > Internet Options > deselect iPv6

Reference:

"IPv6 is not available in all Cox markets yet. Where it is available we are running both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time. This is known as dual stack. This enables us to process either IPv4 or IPv6 traffic at the same time. While we are not expecting our customers to experience connectivity issues due to IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stacked implementation, we have identified an issue with AirPort Extreme routers once IPv6 dual-stacking has been enabled. Cox is working with Apple to resolve this issue. Apple is aware that Airport Extreme routers sometime lose connectivity after IPv6 is enabled. Apple plans to address the issue with a code fix. At this time, we don't have any information regarding the expected date of this fix.

These devices may experience the following:
- No or intermittent Internet connectivity
- Slow speeds
- Unable to access some web sites

The current fixes are:
Temporary - Reboot the router. You will have to repeat every time you experience the issue.

Permanent - Disable IPv6 on your Apple Airport router. Please contact Apple Support for specific steps on how-to do this.

Please note: always ensure your Apple AirPort Extreme router is running the most current firmware version.

For more information please contact Apple: 1-800-275-2273, or https://www.apple.com/support/

I hope this information is helpful.

Mike J.

Cox Support Forums Moderator"

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/p/12191/47267.aspx

Mar 7, 2016 8:47 AM in response to ett2

Permanent - Disable IPv6 on your Apple Airport router.

You can't. Even if you could, Apple uses IPv6 communications among devices on the local network, so disabling IPv6 would result in a real mess. The best that you will do is a setting of Link Local Only.......which will disconnect the IPv6 Internet connection, but allow IPv6 to operate over the local network.

For what it's worth, here is how Comcast does IPv6, and it seems to work very well. Offhand, I can't recall seeing a Comcast IPv6 issue on the forums. The exact same settings work very well for me personally with Time Warner. I've had IPv6 set up on the AirPort router for over 6 months now, with not one single connection loss.

Maybe instead of having to wait for Apple to fix an issue that exists with Cox.........maybe Cox could take a look at how Comcast and Time Warner are doing things.

http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/download.php?file_id=35

Mar 17, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you gentlemen. I have had four levels of Cox support at my home office to diagnosis the problem. Current solution on the table is for Cox to replace my Apple Airport Extreme w Time Capsule 6GB with Cox supplied Netgear router used for their Gigbyte customer. Two problems: What happens to the 6GB Time Capsule and # 2: I have 28 devices hanging off this current Apple network. From TV streaming, SONOS sound system, printers, mobile devices. It would be a huge disappointment if that is the final solution. Real question - is there an Apple Bug for IPv6 on TimeCapsule and Airport Extreme? IF so, what is the ETA for resolution?? IF there is no bug, why can't COX fix this for their Apple customers in a city where population is near two million and only ISP in the area.

Mar 17, 2016 5:57 PM in response to gvlamm

Real question - is there an Apple Bug for IPv6 on TimeCapsule and Airport Extreme?

Comcast and Time Warner, for example have chosen a method to implement IPv6 connections into their systems. This is not causing any disruption with Apple router users......and the users can enjoy some of the benefits of an IPv6 Internet connection right now.

I've had IPv6 active on a Time Warner connection for the past 4 months with zero issues.

The method that Cox has chosen to implement IPv6 into their system is apparently different than what most providers are using, or plan to use. This is what is causing the current issues.

In other words......Cox users who had Apple routers had no problems at all up until just a few weeks ago when Cox began to implement changes into their system. Now that Cox is making changes, Apple router users are having issues.

If there is a "bug" in the Apple routers that is only affecting Cox users......Apple has not acknowledged this.....as far as I can tell. Apple Support would be your contact for that.

IF so, what is the ETA for resolution??

Impossible to say.

why can't COX fix this for their Apple customers

That is a question for Cox. Apparently, Cox is now telling Apple router owners that their Apple routers are incompatible with the IPv6 changes that Cox is making.

A temporary workaround might be to disable the IPv6 Internet connection from Cox by changing a setting on the Apple router. But, if you do this, you will lose the benefit of an IPv6 Internet connection.

Change default IPv6 Delegated Prefix in Airport Extreme with Auto IPv6 Configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.