Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac STUCK - Installed this security update 2015-003

SECURITY UPDATE 2015-003

i was surfing and all of sudden i had a completely WHITE-PALE-CREAM (i dont know) screen, no text-icons-nothing.

i then restart the iMac (27-inch Mid 2011, i7 3.4ghz) and it ALWAYS hangs on the apple logo, greyish screen, and the loading bar stops at about 20-25% then the white screen seems getting slightly darker (still light grey), but the apple logo goes away

and it stays like that no matter what.

recovery mode doesnt seem to work

this less than half a day i have installed this latest SECURITY UPDATE

???

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 12:51 AM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2015 2:15 AM in response to MHKI

I just had a very similar incident on my 27" late 2014 iMac with Retina display. I downloaded & installed the security update last night via software update & ran my iMac with it this morning. About 3 hours in, I had a number of applications open (MS Word for Mac 2011 14.4.8, Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.101 (64-bit), & SimpleComic Version 41.0.2272.101 (64-bit). Chrome was streaming a video via YouTube while I was in SimpleComic. Suddenly, my screen bifurcated vertically -- half black, half white -- and a tick-tock, countdown-like sound began. That never ends well in movies so I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. I restarted, all seems well thus far. No automated opportunity to "report to Apple," so here are my specs.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM151.0207.B01

SMC Version (system): 2.22f16

Mar 23, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Eric Root

fixed (apparently)

thank you :-)

i managed to get Internet Recovery

then (one of the many times) later, push only CTRL (i have tried hundred times many combinations with option, command, shift, control) on start up

and all came back nicely

ALT + CMD + S (single user) and wrote

fsck -fy

did a couple of times as suggested on the internet until all looked fixed

thenk to get Internet Recovery

ALT + CMD + R

(+ i fully downloaded yosemite on an external hard disk on another mac)

as soon as i went back in, i verified-fixed the hard drive permissions etc.

thanks thanks

thanks

iMac STUCK - Installed this security update 2015-003

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.