Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't snow leopard install?

I am trying to upgrade my macbook 5,2. I backed up my files on an external (but not the entire OS) and did an erase and install with the disc it came with (Leopard.) I installed 4GB of RAM and a new 120GB SSD. Now I'm trying to install Snow Leopard in hopes of using a download of mountain lion later. But the snow leopard isn't installing. I tried holding down 'control' while it boots, and it showed me the DVD icon so I clicked it hoping to be taken to Disk Utility so I could format the new SSD. But it just spins and spins and then goes black and does nothing. What am I doing wrong? I'm not trying to make this a powerful machine, I just need it to function as a computer for school work and internet browsing. But right now just functioning in general would be nice. Thanks in advance for any advice!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2009

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 6:14 AM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2015 12:12 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for your reply! I am using the retail snow leopard disk. The one that came with iLife '09 in a bundle. The problem is, the disk is in the drive and the computer boots up, I hear the apple sound and see an apple against a grey screen, and the optical drive spins and spins and nothing happens until eventually the screen goes black. I keep hearing the disk drive moving but nothing is happening on my screen. I would say the optical drive is the culprit, but I had just done an erase and install with leopard and that worked fine. Maybe it was too much for the old girl?

Why won't snow leopard install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.