Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't download Snapchat on my iPod Touch 4G- it says I need IOS 7 which I can't get. However, I was able to download an older version of the app from iTunes last weekend without any problems. How do I download an earlier version of Snapchat?

Last weekend I was able to download an earlier version of Snapchat from iTunes without any problems.

I now won't let me download Snapchat at all, saying it needs IOS 7.

Why is it doing this and how can I download an earlier version of Snapchat onto my iPod again?

I don't understand why this week it has started saying I need IOS 7, without giving me the option to download an earlier version.

Many Thanks

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 12:19 PM

21 replies

Mar 21, 2015 12:36 PM in response to grace_hambrook

Try:

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

However, sometimes a previous version is not available.

Mar 27, 2015 6:37 AM in response to lllaass

I have a similar problem. I have an iPod Touch 4G with Snapchat woking fine until today. When I tried to use it, it basically said oops you are using an older version of Snapchat and click ok to download the newest version. Problem is the newest version needs IOS 7 and of course we cant upgrade to that with the 4th Generation iPod Touch. How can I fix this? This is frustrating, again built in obsolescence by Apple is being forced upon us! Should I jailbreak this and try and find a version of Snapchat that will work? Or is there a workaround this issue. I’ve searched everywhere but cannot find a solution. Any help appreciated!

May 31, 2015 9:50 AM in response to grace_hambrook

I had the exact same issue today, i already and done the process before to get an older version of snapchat on my ipod 4g, but had to delete the app after if wouldnt respond and crashed on start, even after properly closing it and resetting the ipod.

So when i came to download my older version again it wouldnt let me and requested that i update to IOS 7 with no option to download an older version anymore.... very annoying!

But i figured it out after no information here was of any help to fixing this, so this is for future people that need help like i was searching for today.

In the end i removed snapchat from my itunes as well thinking a fresh install there would allow the older version download through the ipod app store to work, it didnt, it just appeared that is was already synced with icloud button still and wouldnt offer up a older version again. So i got past this by snycing my ipod over wifi instead of by cable and it seemed to reset, not sure what and why it didnt do it via cable plug in, but when i went back on the app store via the ipod it now allowed me again to re-download an older version of snapchat to use, must just be a conflicting glitch of some sort.
Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2015 4:14 PM in response to grace_hambrook

I have the exact same problem but not with SnapChat. This sadly applies to any app that is on the Apple store with Apple forcing users to upgrade their iOS version or else they can't use the app. But the problem comes in when Apple themselves won't release the iOS upgrade to us using older devices (forcing us to buy new ones with the excuse of having a "non-fragmented iOS across all devices"). Another reason would be that the iOS upgrade is too resource consuming to older devices and thus not compatible, but that's hardly any excuse when Google Android can do it, having KitKat on most devices whether it is a low-end or a high-end device.

The app itself on the other hand makes sense if they weren't keeping the older versions of the app because Apple wants you to buy new ones. And to be honest don't expect them to keep older versions forever. Everyone moves on. Unfortunately for us Apple is trying to force us to do this out of our will.

I can't download Snapchat on my iPod Touch 4G- it says I need IOS 7 which I can't get. However, I was able to download an older version of the app from iTunes last weekend without any problems. How do I download an earlier version of Snapchat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.