Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support community for iPad

I seem to get into an Apple loop when using an iPad to get help from one of the communities since the iPad updated to OS 8.2

I type Apple support into Safari and the have the screen headed;-

'Looking for something in Apple Support Communities?'

With a line below

'Please visit main page Apple Support Communities for links to discussion areas'

Tapping on 'Apple Support Communities' which is link I finish up back with the same page

With previous versions of OS on the iPad this didn't happen and I could go straight to Discussions from Favorities in Safari

Anybody got any solutions to this?

Robert Jones

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 2:06 PM

Robert Jones19 wrote:

I type Apple support into Safari

Robert

Can't explain, as typing Apple support into Safari gets me nowhere - it is not a URL ! ? !

Get to where you want to start out, whatever it takes in terms of navigation - then bookmark that page

I have a "home base" bookmarked at the login page to Using ASC -

goto any ASC page > click login at the top (as one is a guest) > bookmark the resulting login page > logging in will take to the chosen page in a Logged-In state

ÇÇÇ

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Robert Jones19

Robert Jones19 wrote:

I type Apple support into Safari

Robert

Can't explain, as typing Apple support into Safari gets me nowhere - it is not a URL ! ? !

Get to where you want to start out, whatever it takes in terms of navigation - then bookmark that page

I have a "home base" bookmarked at the login page to Using ASC -

goto any ASC page > click login at the top (as one is a guest) > bookmark the resulting login page > logging in will take to the chosen page in a Logged-In state

ÇÇÇ

Mar 22, 2015 7:06 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

I have tried that with limited success I still end up with "Looking for something in Apple Support Comminities'

as I my original post.

Using the desk top Mac I created in Favourites 'ASC' with the options. This appeared on the iPad and I could log in as Guest successfully.

I checked out several options to test.

However, when I tried to my ASC account I received the same screen as the original post. "Looking for something in Apple Support Communities'

I couldn't log into my ASC account so I logged out of my account on the desk top Mac, in case that was the issue and rebooted the iPad several times but am still having the same issue

I have logged back into my ASC account on the desk top Mac to post this as I'm still stuck with ASC issue on the Ipad

Anymore thoughts?

Mar 22, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Robert Jones19

Robert Jones19 wrote:

1. I have tried that with limited success I still end up with "Looking for something in Apple Support Comminities' as I my original post.
  2. Using the desk top Mac I created in Favourites 'ASC' with the options. This appeared on the iPad and I could log in as Guest successfully.
  3. I checked out several options to test.
  4. However, when I tried to my ASC account I received the same screen as the original post. "Looking for something in Apple Support Communities'
  5. I couldn't log into my ASC account so I logged out of my account on the desk top Mac, in case that was the issue and rebooted the iPad several times but am still having the same issue
  6. I have logged back into my ASC account on the desk top Mac to post this as I'm still stuck with ASC issue on the Ipad
  7. Anymore thoughts?
  1. Post the URL of this page
  2. see #7
  3. Enlighten us !!
  4. see #1
  5. unlikely, but nice try
  6. see #7
  7. On you desktop:
    1. Log OUT of ASC (should take you to the "Welcome" page)
    2. Pick a 'forum' from the list of Picons to make your "Home Base" and go there
    3. As you are a "Guest" by NOT being logged in, click Login >
      1. takes you to " Apple - Login < https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?with a BUNCH more after it that is parameters to take you BACK to your Home Base
      2. WITHOUT any other action - bookmark that page - it will be your friend!! - both Mac and iPad
      3. COPY & email the URL to yourself to be retrieved on your iPad
    4. check your email on your iPad
    5. click the link your sent yourself
    6. BOOKMARK that page in your iPad browser
    7. VIOILA! = new home base on both Mac & iPad

Mar 22, 2015 9:56 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Followed everything you suggested vary carefully and I did have the ASC support page on the iPad by emailing the URL and it opened up, however now has reverted back to this page:-

'Looking for something in Apple Support Communities?

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

Please visit the main page of Apple Support Communities for links to discussion areas.'

Clicking the link on the iPad brings up the same page

It's a mystery to me what the heck is going on as the desktop Mac works fine for ASC

Robert

Mar 22, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Robert Jones19

The URL you're having trouble with should look more like:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6886173 this thread, or

https://discussions.apple.com/community/using_apple_support_communities this forum, or

https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad/using_ipad/content?filterID=content status%5Bpublished%5D~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D my preferred view of the Using iPad forum.

If you bookmarked the page before the last major forum update last June it is possible the URL includes parameters that are no longer valid which might be a factor in what is happening.

You might want to delete the existing shortcut in Safari and rebuild it.

tt2

Mar 22, 2015 10:50 AM in response to turingtest2

we were two ships passing in the night...

You might want to delete the existing shortcut in Safari and rebuild it.

I am pretty sure mu previous instructions were designed to do just that... a new action plan based on my method should be totally foreign soil for Robert (?)

If I were to tell YOU the same thing about your 3rd link, you would go there 1st > then Login

User uploaded file

BOOKMARK That URL of the Login page with params BACK to Using iPad in logged IN state

- Apple - Login - URL follows ...

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=529eb2b096d5a3d54162171f 0f29ba797e602812660013123243e58bc7bedf56&path=%2F%2Fcommunity%2Fipad%2Fusing_ipa d%2Fcontent%3FfilterID%3Dcontentstatus%5Bpublished%5D%7Eobjecttype%7Eobjecttype% 5Bthread%5D&instanceId=US&language=US-EN

Mar 22, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Robert Jones19

On your iPad...

1. click this URL link - https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=529eb2b096d5a3d54162171f 0f29ba797e602812660013123243e58bc7bedf56&path=%2F%2Fcommunity%2Fipad%2Fusing_ipa d%2Fcontent%3FfilterID%3Dcontentstatus%5Bpublished%5D%7Eobjecttype%7Eobjecttype% 5Bthread%5D&instanceId=US&language=US-EN
  2. BOOKMARK that resulting page
  3. Login
  4. You should be at Using iPad forum all nicely and neatly logged in
  5. each browser session that you wish to visit ASC, use THAT NEW Bookmark to start out

Support community for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.