Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Indian iphone dealers say that they do not repair any iphone bought outside India?

I bought iphone 4s from Australia. I have problem with the iphone 4s side button for mute on/off. The button has actually malfunctioned. When I went to one of the apple store in Malad West, Mumbai, India, the store team member claimed that they do not touch iphones bought from outside India. Moreover, they also said that even if iphone is fully within warranty, we do not repair iphones that are not from Indian territory. What should I do? Can Apple solve this problem at all?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 10:13 AM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2015 12:36 AM in response to lillanaa

Thank you for the quick response.

Does that mean, the store will not fix the iphone even if I am ready to pay?

Does that mean I should buy new iphone every time I live and work in different country and save my home country's iphone from damaging until I come back?

This would sound funny if it is true. I heard Apple is a global company but I didn't know that they can't fix the problem even if I am ready to pay to fix in India. This is ridiculous.

Mar 22, 2015 1:38 AM in response to techomac

Unfortunately, this is the way it has always been with the iPhone and the folks in India are totally within their rights to refuse to fix your phone if it was purchased from outside the country.

iPhone warranty cover is country specific and NOT international and it has always been that way - if you have a problem with your phone, then it is at their discretion whether they will help you or not and they are perfectly at liberty to refuse if the phone was not purchased in India.

You can take it back and ask them if they will fix it if you pay and they might just do this, but they won't do it under warranty - you will have to send the phone back to Australia for this. If you have a relative in Australia could you not send the phone back to them so that they could get it repaired for you?

Also, Apple is unlikely to help you with this one, as it is their policy in the first place.

Your only other option is to purchase a basic phone to use whilst you are in India and wait until you get back to Australia to get your iPhone fixed under warranty.

Mar 30, 2015 4:18 PM in response to techomac

The problem is that iPhones are region specific. Apple does not repair phones in stores; they replace them with the same model. A store in India will not have the model to replace it with if your iPhone was not bought in India. The exception is any phone bought in a Eurozone country will be service in any other EU country.

That's why it's important to buy an iPhone in the country where you plan to use it most.

Why Indian iphone dealers say that they do not repair any iphone bought outside India?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.