Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reconfiguring backup advice

i am trying to reconfigure the backup for my "new used" 2012 mac pro which is replacing my 2006 machine. i am hoping for some solid advice.

right now i am setup with a 2 TB TIME CAPSULE that is wirelessly backing up my 250 GB laptop via TIME MACHINE.

in the Mac Pro i /now/ have a 1 TB OS drive (with data) and a 4 TB "database" drive that i am using to store large database files. i am using the other two hard drive slots in this machine for DAILY CLONES of these two drives. these both run at 1:00 AM.

i am currently considering one of two options:

1. to /add/ the 1 TB OS drive to the 2 TB TIME CAPSULE and have TWO TIME MACHINE backups to this one device. one being my OS drive on the mac pro and the other being my laptop HD which accesses the Time Capsule via Wifi. the mac pro is connected via ethernet to the TIME CAPSULE.

2. buy a new 3 TB drive to use as a TIME MACHINE backup hard drive for the 1 TB OS drive and leave the 2 TB Time Capsule to only backup the laptop.

in both cases i am imagining buying a 4 TB /external/ drive to use as a CLONE of the 4 TB database drive. this obviously means that the OS drive with data gets a Time Machine backup whereas the Database drive does not have a Time Machine backup.

in the past i have also kept "periodic" cloned backups of all these hard drives in an "off site" location in my truck in addition to the internal cloned backups and the time machine backups but i think i am going to take a step back on this and ONLY have the additional periodic cloned backups in the off site location in the truck and to not also have an additional external backup of all these hard drives on my desk.

any help on finalizing all this would be really welcome.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 11:52 AM

There are no replies.

reconfiguring backup advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.