Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Authorized to Play

Just migrated all data to a new Mac, but have weirdness in iTunes:

When I try to play a track or sync music to iPhone..."Not authorized to play purchased items... Would you like to authorize this computer.."

Click "Authorize" and get prompt to enter my Apple id/Password. The user id that pops up is mine but misspelled. If I correct it and enter my password the result is: "This computer is already authorized..." and I'm taken back in a circle.

Tried De-Authorizing from the Store menu, then Authorize. Did not help.

Suggestions?

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 1:51 PM

You will need to call Apple to resolve this.

Also, Apple has this bizarre policy of a maximum of 10 devices per account, (keeps me from buying more Apple stuff).

You're not over the 10 limit, are you?

6 replies

Mar 21, 2015 4:28 PM in response to sberman

Only option in account settings was to "De-Authorize All Computers" which I did. Then went back to Store/Authorize this Computer"

That worked, to a point. Still wouldn't sync with iPhone.

The I did this:

Store/View Account....but logged in with the incorrectly spelled user name (see original post)

De-Authorized, then Authorized.

That seemed to work. Can now play tracks on my Mac and sync with iPhone.

But what it means to have 2 user names intertwined I do not know.

thanks

Mar 21, 2015 7:51 PM in response to Jerold Goldman

Jerold Goldman wrote:

But what it means to have 2 user names intertwined I do not know.

This may be very unfortunate, as one of the two user names may own some (but not all) of the material purchased on iTunes.

So it would appear as if Identity 1 owned some stuff while Identity 2 owned the rest.

Sort of a messy bookkeeping issue, that may show up later as having some stuff you cannot access. You may have to fool around using both user names for a while.

Not Authorized to Play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.