Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple charge an authorization hold after your account has been debited for a purchase and you update your billing information by selecting none the next day?

Why does Apple charge an authorization hold after your account has been debited for a purchase and you update your billing information by selecting none the next day?

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 12:31 PM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Minzhaghi

You are sure that it was applied to your card the following day (it wasn't made before the purchase but your card issuer lists the following day on your statement ?), and if was did you do any other changes on your account before removing the card ?

You should only receive the temporary charge when you change the card's or you own (e.g. your address) details, not if you are only logging in and selecting 'none'

Mar 22, 2015 9:55 AM in response to King_Penguin

I made a purchase on Friday 20th March 2015 and I immediately received notification from my bank alerting me of the debit. The next day 21st March 2015 I updated my payment information by selecting none and immeduately I received a notification from my bank debiting my account almost the same amount that was debited the previous day when I made the purchase. What charge is that please?

Mar 22, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Minzhaghi

So you only had two notifications, one for the temporary store holding charge (which your card issuer should remove), and one for your purchase (when using a card it can sometimes take card issuer's a day or so to process the purchase) ? If that is the card, two notifications, then that's what they are.

Edit : did you add the card when purchasing the item, or was the card already on your account ? The holding charge should only be applied when you add a card or change its details (e.g. add its security code), or if you change your details (e.g. name, address).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.