Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safety of taking apart old Mac products?

My son wants to take apart a couple of old mac laptops -- one a clamshell, another an ancient powerbook. Is this safe (in terms of mercury, cadmium, etc.)?saf

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 3:50 PM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2015 4:53 PM in response to shilohspike

My son wants to take apart a couple of old mac laptops

As a kid, I took apart stuff all the time. (Washing machines, televisions, lawnmowers, and radios.) Was able to retire very early so it must've done me some good. The only time I got hurt was when I tried to "take apart" a can of hairspray, (minor cut).

I agree with the other poster, I see two issues. Don't eat anything, and the battery. Some of those earlier Macs had removable batteries, (I wish they still did). If you can get the battery out of the way it should be lots of fun. You'll need some small Torx screwdrivers and other tools.

Mar 22, 2015 10:00 AM in response to shilohspike

All the laptops you mention have removable batteries so you're good there. As the others have said the batteries are the main problem in terms of shorting and leaking dangerous chemicals. I would also add the PRAM batteries which are mercury coin types.

As far as tools I've been using these kits from Harbor Freight:

User uploaded file

They hold up surprisingly well and are very cheap. The orange one in the background is my favorite but haven't seen them there in a while. I check every time I'm there.

Old wind up alarm clocks are also great things to take apart. The only danger there is the drive spring and the sharp axles on some of the smaller gears. Especially the pointed ones in the escapement train.

Depending on how old your son is old hard drives are also fun to take apart. I did this w/ my science class at a charter school. I could run it w/ an power dongle so they could see how the read head works and they loved retrieving the magnets. Those can be dangerous so exercise caution.

Safety of taking apart old Mac products?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.