Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Early 2015 MacBook Pro fans are at 0 RPM and my cpu temperature never fluctuates

Hello all I have had a Mid 2009 macbook pro for 5 years now and just got my Early 2015 MacBook Pro. On my old macbook i used iStat and SMC fan controller religiously and everything worked great.

Now with my new Early 2015 MacBook Pro, My CPU sensor doesn't even show up in iStat, and in my top toolbar, SMC controller shows my CPU temp never moves, and my fans are at 0 RPM. I cannot hear any fans moving at all when in a completely silent room, and my ear is to the computer.

I downloaded a game to stress the CPU to see if it'd change, and it doesn't all the way up to the fans just coming on at 6000RPM and the CPU is very high like 80-90C

I have already reset my PRAM and SMC and was wondering if anyone here has been monitoring their temps and have seen the same thing?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 2:50 PM

15 replies

Mar 21, 2015 7:47 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

i have tried multiple sensor apps, to include a paid app from the App Store, and they all show the same thing and exhibit the same problems i listed above.

I guess 50 degrees is 50 degrees whether or not the fan is on or not, and the 14nm chips make less heat, so i don't know if apple made the SMC cut the fans until its above 70 and then just blast them, but I'm not used to it and still can't help but think something is up.

I do have an "ambient" reading that i don't have on my 2009 and its the air temp in the case, and its never above 34 or so and the case isn't hot to the touch, but I'm not wrong in assuming that the fan should at least be circulating some air? If i run a benchmark and 1080 video at the same time (trying to get the fans to turn on) it does, but waits until the CPU is about 70C-90C depending and i would really like to keep the CPU as cool as possible for obvious reasons.

Apr 21, 2015 7:45 PM in response to Rixplex

I also have an Early 2015 rMBP w/ i5-5287U cpu. I am using Temperature Gauge from the Mac App Store and getting similar if not slightly worse results. I'm usually Idling somewhere between 45 and 60 C with almost no activity. When I run games, forget about it (see below), temps up to 103 Celsius. I also experience almost no fans until at least 70 C, and then during gaming the heat is not coming down.

Given that the cpu is supposed to shut itself down at around 105 C, I'm thinking that the programs are not decoding the temperature sensors correctly. This is my first Mac so it's hard for me to compare performance. I expected better heat regulation. I was trying to avoid programs outside of the mac store for this type of thing, but I'm considering OGELTHORPE's suggestion for istat menus, as they do claim to support early 2015 MacBooks. Have you tried this program yet?

User uploaded file

Apr 30, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Rixplex

I've tested the 0 rpm situation with iStat 5.1, Macs Fan Control 1.2.1, TG Pro 2.6 and smcFanControl 2.5 and they all show the fan speed = 0 rpm, if I ramp up the CPU usage by using Geekbench 3 it can get up to 6,200 rpm with a CPU temperature of 62C. I do not think all 4 apps are wrong, the new rMBP runs at 0 rpm when idle.

May 15, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Rixplex

This is my third macbook pro early 2015 2.9ghz i5, and again i have the same problem the macbook works fine but as soon as i play flash content the fans go crazy, and sometimes super loud, i have never had this issue on any mac i have had in the past and i can not understand why the fans are going crazy on flash content when i had the macbook pro late 2013 and everything was normal. newer should be better not worse.

Aug 30, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Ozzyleo

Yeah, not really sure what's up with these. Was stoked to upgrade from my air to new pro... noticed immediately that it ran super hot. I can't even watch hulu or netflix without hitting 90c in seconds... nevermind gaming at all. Took it to apple and they "could not replicate the problem". One guy said it might have to do with music files I copied over from my air. (Seriously??? Did not cause any issues on my 2012 pro or air....) Nobody had even heard of this issue apparently at apple store... which makes no sense as it's all over these forums. Of course this is the one time I did not get apple care lol.

My Early 2015 MacBook Pro fans are at 0 RPM and my cpu temperature never fluctuates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.