Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate TV's in Remote App

I have 2 Apple TV's 3rd Gen, one device all of the sudden show's up twice in the remote app on all of my iOS devices. You can control it from either listing.

I must be stored somewhere outside of the devices as even when the device is off it shows up in the app.

I looked in my iCloud account and it only list 2 which is correct. I had tried renaming the one that is showing up twice from Apple TV to Living Room.

In iCloud it shows the New name and the other Apple TV named Basement. I tried deleting the remote app and reinstalling but no good.

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 9:59 AM

I see that no one has answered this post, so I will do so myself. This answer is anecdotal, but it did work for me today when I was suffering from the same problem. All of a sudden I showed two of my AppleTVs in my IOS Remote.app. To resolve the problem I did the following in this order. I don't know if the order or timing matters, but I would suggest at least one hour (it might force the the caches to update upon restart due to the time difference).

My network looks like this: I have a network based from an Apple TimeCapsule router which is extended by 3 Apple Airport Express routers.

Here are the steps to take:

1. Turn off/unplug Apple TV

2. Turn off computer and ALL IOS devices

3. Turn off all Airport Express Modules

4. Turn off TimeCapsule (main router).

Leave all devices off for 2 hours. (I went to go have coffee with a friend). For my iPhone, I turned off the WIFI then restarted it. I didn't turn on WIFI again until I was at the restaurant.

5. Turn on TimeCapsule (main router).

6. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should say it is not working because it can't find a HomeSharing Library)

7. Turn on AppleTV

8. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should display only 1 AppleTV and be able to control it.)

9. Turn on Mac (and launch iTunes)

10. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should display only 1 AppleTV and 1 Mac/iTunes Library and be able to control either)

11. Turn on any other iDevices -- Remote.app should function properly on all of them.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having this issue!

On a side note, Bonjour Browser STILL shows that I have 2 AppleTVs (even hours later). I don't know why this is, although it could simply be detecting both the IP4 and IP6 addresses of the AppleTV and treating them as separate devices.

-Kevin Nagel

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2015 9:59 AM in response to charterwarranty

I see that no one has answered this post, so I will do so myself. This answer is anecdotal, but it did work for me today when I was suffering from the same problem. All of a sudden I showed two of my AppleTVs in my IOS Remote.app. To resolve the problem I did the following in this order. I don't know if the order or timing matters, but I would suggest at least one hour (it might force the the caches to update upon restart due to the time difference).

My network looks like this: I have a network based from an Apple TimeCapsule router which is extended by 3 Apple Airport Express routers.

Here are the steps to take:

1. Turn off/unplug Apple TV

2. Turn off computer and ALL IOS devices

3. Turn off all Airport Express Modules

4. Turn off TimeCapsule (main router).

Leave all devices off for 2 hours. (I went to go have coffee with a friend). For my iPhone, I turned off the WIFI then restarted it. I didn't turn on WIFI again until I was at the restaurant.

5. Turn on TimeCapsule (main router).

6. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should say it is not working because it can't find a HomeSharing Library)

7. Turn on AppleTV

8. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should display only 1 AppleTV and be able to control it.)

9. Turn on Mac (and launch iTunes)

10. Check Remote.app on iPhone (should display only 1 AppleTV and 1 Mac/iTunes Library and be able to control either)

11. Turn on any other iDevices -- Remote.app should function properly on all of them.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having this issue!

On a side note, Bonjour Browser STILL shows that I have 2 AppleTVs (even hours later). I don't know why this is, although it could simply be detecting both the IP4 and IP6 addresses of the AppleTV and treating them as separate devices.

-Kevin Nagel

Mar 10, 2016 9:09 PM in response to charterwarranty

I too had the same issues where my Apple remote was showing more Apple TVs than I owned. One actually had two different names so I pretty much followed Rulerk's suggestions and IT WORKED!!! I unplugged all of the Apple TVs the airport extreme, all of the Apple airport express' and turned off both computers. I only waited a few minutes before plugging everything back in.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Mar 27, 2016 3:28 PM in response to RiosNJ10

I was having the same problem but I only have one Time Capsule router and one Apple TV. I unplugged the ATV and then restarted the TC. I force quit the Remote app on my phone and then after the router had the network back up I plugged the ATV back in. Once that had completely started up I launched the Remote app on my phone and only the one ATV was now showing. I think rebooting my Time Capsule was key. i did not have to restart my phone or any other device nor mess with my computer at all.

Duplicate TV's in Remote App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.