Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Utility show data rate of 0 Mb/s?

My Airport Extreme 802.11ac running 7.7.3 is connected via gigabit ethernet as extender of my WiFi Network.

4 devices are connected to it (according to the Airport Utility running on an iPad).

All devices can reach the internet..Ookla Speedtest on the iPad shows 44 Mbps download (which is fine for WiFi).

Can anyone tell me why the utility reports a data rate of zero Mb/s even though it shows a max rate of a gigabit?

User uploaded file

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac-OTHER, 7.7.3

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 7:55 AM

rbkrbk wrote:

My Airport Extreme 802.11ac running 7.7.3 is connected via gigabit ethernet as extender of my WiFi Network.

What do you mean by "extender of my WiFi Network"? AirPort Utility's presentation implies it is functioning as a wireless access point, meaning that is creating a wireless network, not extending an existing one.

As you know the data rate doesn't seem right, and its connection should read full-duplex.

I suspect the Extreme is not configured correctly. What device is connected to the other end of its Ethernet port?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2015 7:55 AM in response to rbkrbk

rbkrbk wrote:

What do you mean by "extender of my WiFi Network"? AirPort Utility's presentation implies it is functioning as a wireless access point, meaning that is creating a wireless network, not extending an existing one.

As you know the data rate doesn't seem right, and its connection should read full-duplex.

I suspect the Extreme is not configured correctly. What device is connected to the other end of its Ethernet port?

Mar 23, 2015 5:38 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for the help!

I have been unable to get the AirPort to recognize the existing wireless network to extend it,

(I see -85dBm at the AirPort when I try to extend.)

My fallback was to create a 2nd SSID of the same name on the same channel for the AirPort.

This all seems to work quite well except that the config reported above looks odd.

The Wireless network upstairs is from a Linksys 2500 not acting as a router.

I have a Comcast modem with 115Mbs down and 20Mbps up. It has 5 static IP addresses.

The modem has a single gigabit ethernet connection to a Watchguard Firewall.

The Watchguard has connection to an 8-port gigabit switch.

The LinkSys2500 has a single connection to the gigabit switch.

There is a 2nd gigabit switch downstairs from the above described items and connected to the 1st switch.

The AirPort is connected to that.

Here is a rough diagram:

User uploaded file

Thanks again for your time on this.

Mar 24, 2015 7:20 AM in response to rbkrbk

I'm curious how an eight port switch can have nine connections. Do they have a dedicated uplink port in addition to eight other ports? Are they unmanaged switches?

Would you be willing to temporarily substitute the Extreme for the Linksys connected to the Southside switch, to determine if that makes a difference to the half-duplex and zero data rate indicated by AirPort Utility?

Apr 25, 2015 7:21 PM in response to IPv6Freely

Ironically, if you use an older AirPort Utility 5.x version on a Mac, there are settings to adjust the WAN port. It is not possible to do this using a 6.x version of AirPort Utility on a Mac or using the iOS version of AirPort Utility....since the settings do not even appear.

Yet, if you do change the WAN port settings using the older 5.x utility to Half Duplex.....then......the Half Duplex status setting will be displayed on the iOS versions of AirPort Utility.

AirPort Utility show data rate of 0 Mb/s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.