Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reach boot selector screen

With OS 10-3-9, I selected a bad boot device. Now boot fails with msg Input not supported.

How do I get back to the boot selector screen to select the correct boot device? I have no 10.3 bootable disks.

The keyboard is connected via usb only.

This is on a Mac g4, 400 MHZ

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 Ghz, 32 GB of RAM.

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 9:25 PM

10 replies

Mar 22, 2015 9:45 AM in response to TomL100

Specify exactly what computer you are referring to... G4 could be any number of systems.

Specify why/how you ended up selecting a bad boot device? Windows drive? Linux drive? What?

What did you do to your internal boot drive to make it so that it is not visible as a boot drive? Erased it? It was failing?

What device are you trying to boot into?

You don't have the recovery disks for this system?

Do you have a retail version of the OS on disk?

Mar 22, 2015 10:46 AM in response to pmiles

The Mac is a Power PC, Model number 2.6 and the CPU is a 400 MHZ unit. The computer is also known as the Yikes board (?)

I put a CD in the cd player and went to Preferences, startup disk.

Then, stupid me, I saw the original 10.3.9 system that I had always booted on, AND another OS 2.6 on the same drive.

I selected that one and it will not start anymore. Always get the same message "Input Not Supported".

Mar 22, 2015 11:43 AM in response to TomL100

Try bypassing the startup volume... power off the computer, when you restart, hold the Command + Option + Shift + Delete keys at startup and it will look for the next available volume with a valid operating system. This doesn't change the setting in Startup Disk preferences, so if it does boot, you will need to change the Startup Disk or it will try to launch the other volume again if you reboot the system.

Cannot reach boot selector screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.