Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whats the best way to connect mac mini to my DAC

I want to connect a mac mini to my DAC to then connect to my home stereo. The input options on the DAC are usb (b), coax digital & toslink optical. What is the best way to get the digital audio out of the mac & then into the DAC?

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 12:22 PM

IAW these specs:

Features:

• USB: 24/96 up sampling to 192 Hz
  • Toslink and coaxial: 24/192Hz
  • Galvanic Isolation: ADuM 1250 chips
  • Asynchronous Burr Brown Chip AD1896
  • DAC Chip: PCM 1798
  • R Style Transformer
  • State of the Art Components: ESA Clarity capacitor filters, gold plated RCA jacks

(Although this was copy pasted from your DAC maker's web site, it should be 192 kHz not 192 Hz.)

The Toslink would be a better choice because the USB would have to use up sampling to reach 192 kHz. The USB would work though. Use a USB cable from the Mac to the DAC. Then use the Mac's Audio Midi Setup to select your DAC.

The audio output jack on the Mac is a combination Line Level Analog output and a Laser Toslink digital output. You can buy Toslink cables that have a miniature phono laser plug on one end and the more standard Toslink on the other.

User uploaded file

Or, you can buy a miniature phono to Toslink adaptor.

User uploaded file

plus a cable

User uploaded file

Note: If you don't have any digital source material above 96 Hz, then the USB and Toslink connection would be toss up, sic.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Dan 2

IAW these specs:

Features:

• USB: 24/96 up sampling to 192 Hz
  • Toslink and coaxial: 24/192Hz
  • Galvanic Isolation: ADuM 1250 chips
  • Asynchronous Burr Brown Chip AD1896
  • DAC Chip: PCM 1798
  • R Style Transformer
  • State of the Art Components: ESA Clarity capacitor filters, gold plated RCA jacks

(Although this was copy pasted from your DAC maker's web site, it should be 192 kHz not 192 Hz.)

The Toslink would be a better choice because the USB would have to use up sampling to reach 192 kHz. The USB would work though. Use a USB cable from the Mac to the DAC. Then use the Mac's Audio Midi Setup to select your DAC.

The audio output jack on the Mac is a combination Line Level Analog output and a Laser Toslink digital output. You can buy Toslink cables that have a miniature phono laser plug on one end and the more standard Toslink on the other.

User uploaded file

Or, you can buy a miniature phono to Toslink adaptor.

User uploaded file

plus a cable

User uploaded file

Note: If you don't have any digital source material above 96 Hz, then the USB and Toslink connection would be toss up, sic.

Mar 22, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Lanny

Thanks for getting back to me. The DAC you ask about is made by Jolida it is the Glass FX series DACII. It is very high quality to manage digital audio into the tube reproduction realm. Down line from the DAC through RCA stereo connectors I am using the Joilda Hybrid integrated amp.

From what I have seen on the new MAC Mini the options are to use the stereo 3.5 mini out or HDMI. I can not get a confirmation from Apple support whether or not it is possible to use the usb as an audio out feature. Additionally I am having a hard time locating adapters to go from the mini into the various other connections. I would like not to have to use conversions just to try & keep the audio path as clean as possible.

whats the best way to connect mac mini to my DAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.