Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you invert a black and white photo image on a Mac?

I have some glass plate black and white negatives that I would like to scan into my Mac and then invert the images to generate the photo. I have Aperture installed already but I can't seem to just have it invert the scanned image. Is there another way to do this with just the photos? I can't seem to do it with iPhoto or Preview either.

iMac

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 8:26 AM

Yes. You can use the "curves" brick. Drag the top right corner to bottom right, and drag bottom left to top left, effectively inverting the curve.

2 replies

Mar 22, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Bakersfield Kristy

William answered this already, but since I made a screenshot, I don't want to waste it:

Set the "Range" to "Normal" before you drag the control points on the RGB curve up and down. That is easier,when inverting the curve. It tends to wiggle, and "Normal" will constrain it to the range you want.

User uploaded file

After you defined this adjustment for one of your scans, lift and stamp it to the other scans or save it as an effect from the "Effects" panel.

Then you only have to adjust the curves once.

User uploaded file

How do you invert a black and white photo image on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.