Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Error 53 Unable to Install / Factory Reset

After installing 8.1.3 the Battery was draining out very fast. Also the Touch Id went dead. Wanted to see whether this was resolved in 8.2 and hence tried to install 8.2 yesterday. First used the Wifi to upgrade. 8.2 got downloaded and the installation started but halfway through it gave error and exit from update. Then I tried updating through iTunes (latest version). After going through the installation for sometime I got the error "The iPhone "xyz" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (53)". I disconnect the phone, switched it off and on. At this point of time the iPhone prompted me to connect to iTunes. Restarted the system (mac book), brought up iTunes and connect the iPhone through USB cable. iTunes prompted me to confirm for resetting the the iPhone to Factory settings. I confirmed. After some time I got the same error (error 53). The phone is now totally unusable. Looked at all articles on the net but I did not find any articles which helped me. I bought the phone in Singapore and I am not sure whether Apple will take it for service in India 😟

Any suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 2:17 AM

When restoring an iphone 6 (or 6 PLUS) with a not working touchid, you will get stuck at 50% of the process and the phone will be stuck in recovery mode.

The problem often occurres when installing a new screen, and in the process make a little damage to the home button (or its flex cable).

Also somethimes the replacement screen already has a new home button attached, and by changing the screen a new button is used instead of the original one (which is the only button which had working touchid for the iphone).

If you havent replaced the screen or what so every you will just need to set up a repair with apple and they will give you a brand new iphone as replacement.

Its kinda stupid a perfectly working iphone which has a defective touchid (by screen repair / water damage) gets stuck in recovery when updating / doing a recovery. Its turns your expensive iphone into a brick... . Way to go Apple 😟

So i really hope your warranty is still ok (mine they refused to repair).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2015 2:17 AM in response to rajagopal_India

When restoring an iphone 6 (or 6 PLUS) with a not working touchid, you will get stuck at 50% of the process and the phone will be stuck in recovery mode.

The problem often occurres when installing a new screen, and in the process make a little damage to the home button (or its flex cable).

Also somethimes the replacement screen already has a new home button attached, and by changing the screen a new button is used instead of the original one (which is the only button which had working touchid for the iphone).

If you havent replaced the screen or what so every you will just need to set up a repair with apple and they will give you a brand new iphone as replacement.

Its kinda stupid a perfectly working iphone which has a defective touchid (by screen repair / water damage) gets stuck in recovery when updating / doing a recovery. Its turns your expensive iphone into a brick... . Way to go Apple 😟

So i really hope your warranty is still ok (mine they refused to repair).

Apr 22, 2015 1:53 AM in response to rajagopal_India

HI, i have purchsed the iphone 6 gold 16gb unlock from my friend from usa. But now it have some black line from the top to the bottom, and when i update to ios 8.3 the itune appeared unknow error (53) and my iphone can not open back.

I Have bring it to my friend in apple store to check. My friends told me the touchid have changed. So i cannot update it anymore.

WIth this problem, can i send my iphone to any store in us to fix it for me. And do i need pay anything for this problem.

Hope soon answer. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2015 2:27 AM in response to rajagopal_India

Before going to Apple Store for the replacement or repair, try following these steps:

Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Note that you need to have iTunes installed on this computer. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

iPhone 6 Error 53 Unable to Install / Factory Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.