Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stream music via AirPort Express and TimeCapsule

Aim: To stream music/radio/other audio through my stereo through wi-fi/local network using the following equipment:

- TimeCapsule (1st gen)

- AirPort Express (1st gen)

- MacBook Pro (recently upgraded to Yosemite)

- Jack stick

The internet connection is shared with my neighbours and the cable in my flat is connected to my TimeCapsule (located in my bedroom). My stereo is in my livingroom and is connected to the airport express with a jack stick.

The trouble is:

I can choose the AirPort Express and play music stored on my MBP - but no streaming is possible because the MBP is not at the same time connected to the TimeCapsule - where the internet connection is. AirPort Utility does not show more than one connection at the time (as far as I can see, but perhaps I am overlooking something)...

How do I set up the local network (sorry if I am using wrong terms?) so that I can both be connected to the internet AND stream the audio through my stereo? Preferably from both my MBP and my iPhone...

Thanks so much for advice on what to do!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), MBP is from 2009

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 5:26 AM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2015 4:03 PM in response to lithacph

I think I understand the setup..

The problem you have here is that the TC needs to handle your network.. and everything should be connected to it.

What mode is the TC running? You may need to accept running double NAT to separate your network from the friend you share with.

Then use the Express to extend the wireless on the TC.

Post a few screenshots as it makes it easier for us to understand what is happening.

Mar 26, 2015 11:10 PM in response to lithacph

Ok.. thanks for posting but I think you went the wrong way.. you want to separate your devices from your friends.. what you have done now is make your network 100% dependent on his.

Below: I adjusted the router mode after googling possible solutions:

You changed it from working to not working.. your setup is not like the standard setup.

The internet connection is shared with my neighbours and the cable in my flat is connected to my TimeCapsule (located in my bedroom). My stereo is in my livingroom and is connected to the airport express with a jack stick.

Because of the shared nature of the connection you need to isolate yourself.. which means using double NAT.

So please go back to that.

Then reset the airport express to factory and try again to setup.. you must connect to the TC by wireless or ethernet.

But to do the setup you need to setup using wireless and have IPv6 set correctly in the computer to link-local only.. otherwise it simply doesn't work.

Mar 28, 2015 3:34 PM in response to lithacph

The problem is apple now needs IPv6 in the local network running correctly

So the setup is on the network client in your computer.. MUST be set to link-local only.. not automatic.

eg wireless.

User uploaded file

eg ethernet.

User uploaded file

I went back to double NAT, which makes the TC appear with a yellow status in airport utility (although the internet is still there).

This is the best of a bad world.. it is not ideal.. and if your friend could help by putting your WAN IP in DMZ it would help.. but this is the cost of shared internet.

Anyway post the screenshots of the problems and we can give you further help.

Stream music via AirPort Express and TimeCapsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.