Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto on desk top

I have a desk top down loaded some pictures to I photo last week and now cannot open? Anyone know where they went? they are years of pictures 😟 My computer has 10.6.8 update on it

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 10:49 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Tarissa

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Mar 22, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Tarissa

You've managed to delete it from your Mac somehow. Reinstall it.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Mar 22, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Tarissa

Your photos are not backed up to iCloud unless you expressly did that. Did you?

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Mar 22, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Tarissa

How do I know if they were backed up properly to Icloud?

iCloud backup is only available for mobile devices with iOS, not for your mac.

If you enabled iCloud backup on your iPhone, your camera roll may have been backed up. See this support document: iCloud: Backup and restore overview

But did you backup your iPhoto library on your Mac? Are you using Time Machine or any other backup software on a regular basis?

iphoto on desk top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.