Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost my Safari app and all the bookmarks that go with it. I have tried to download my back-up on external drive but cannot access it. Tried a start with C key held down but still no access to the back-up app.

I have lost my Safari app and all the bookmarks that go with it. I have tried to download my back-up on external drive but cannot access it. Tried a start with C key held down but still no access to the back up app.

Have used Superduper app. to back up and checked back-up occasionally to see if all files present and appeared OK.

I had previously started machine using original CD #1 to try and replace Eudora which was acting up. Did not knowingly touch Safari.

Running iMAC System 10.4.11

How can I successfully download from the Maxtor back-up?

Ivan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 12:08 PM

11 replies

Mar 22, 2015 5:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi Aqua

The file on the back-up was supposed to be a clone, from which the machine could be re-booted.

I tried your suggestion but there was no different choice.

I found a note elsewhere in the forum on loss of bookmark data. This suggested finding file Bookmarks.plist where data is held in v 4.1.3 of Safari

I imported it into my Safari but it was only a basic set. It was not my list.

TKS for your interest.

Ivan

Mar 23, 2015 1:25 PM in response to basekv

Further info.

I checked the content of my other back-up and found the bookmark Bookmarks.plist in the library under Safari

Dumped the existing copy in the computer and drag-dropped the back up. All bookmarks restored.

Solved the Stickies problem by using Spotlight to find file "stickiesdatabase" and did a drag- drop to replace file. All data restored.

Re Ical data loss. Used Spotlight to find iCal document in Library - Preferences where I found com.apple.iCal.plist in folder.

Got ready to make change but did not immediately remove file. When I returned to Preferences folder to grab above document,

the readable descriptors had been changed to code consisting of some upper case letters and/or single symbols!

So now I cannot tell which is the symbol iCal.plist

Thanks for leading me so far, but how do I find that plist for my calendar?

I have lost my Safari app and all the bookmarks that go with it. I have tried to download my back-up on external drive but cannot access it. Tried a start with C key held down but still no access to the back-up app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.