Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app not loading any content after ios8.2 update

I recently got a new MBP and have finally been able to update my old 4s from ios6.0.1 to ios8.2.

The new look is nice, some of the features are better but I have not been able to get my podcast app to load any podcast at all. It hangs on the "updating library" and then crashes! I went into the podcast section on iTunes and clicked on the ones that I want and nothing at al loads. I have only 4.8gb of free space, I know it's not much but something should load!

Am I missing something......I'm assuming that it works the way it used to where it isn't actually downloading the content but would just stream it. Or do I need to download them to my MBP then sync?

The new iOS is nice but it's very bloated for the older/smaller devices and I find my battery drains a lot quicker than it used to.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 7:33 AM

Hi greg h,

The first thing I would suggest is to try to stream a podcast with the Podcasts app for iOS. This will not take up any space on your iPhone 4s, and should not require any updates to your iTunes library. Click on the link below for additional information regarding downloading podcasts directly to your iPhone or syncing with iTunes.

Podcasts app for iOS: Stream, download, and subscribe to podcasts - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201859

With Podcasts for iOS, you can stream or download podcasts over a Wi-Fi or a cellular network. You can also subscribe to podcasts that you listen to or watch regularly. Podcasts for iOS even lets you subscribe to password-protected podcasts.

What you'll need

You don't need to be signed in with your Apple ID to play or download podcasts, but you will if you want to sync your podcasts.

Streaming

You can stream podcast episodes you don't want to be stored on your iOS device. Your iOS device will need a continuous internet connection when you choose to stream.

1. Browse or Search for a podcast.
  2. Tap a podcast to view details.
  3. Tap the name of an episode you want to play.
User uploaded file

The podcast episode will begin playing. If you allow Podcasts to use cellular data (under Settings > Podcasts), streamed podcasts of any size will play.

Cheers,

- Judy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 7:33 AM in response to greg h

Hi greg h,

The first thing I would suggest is to try to stream a podcast with the Podcasts app for iOS. This will not take up any space on your iPhone 4s, and should not require any updates to your iTunes library. Click on the link below for additional information regarding downloading podcasts directly to your iPhone or syncing with iTunes.

Podcasts app for iOS: Stream, download, and subscribe to podcasts - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201859

With Podcasts for iOS, you can stream or download podcasts over a Wi-Fi or a cellular network. You can also subscribe to podcasts that you listen to or watch regularly. Podcasts for iOS even lets you subscribe to password-protected podcasts.

What you'll need

You don't need to be signed in with your Apple ID to play or download podcasts, but you will if you want to sync your podcasts.

Streaming

You can stream podcast episodes you don't want to be stored on your iOS device. Your iOS device will need a continuous internet connection when you choose to stream.

1. Browse or Search for a podcast.
  2. Tap a podcast to view details.
  3. Tap the name of an episode you want to play.
User uploaded file

The podcast episode will begin playing. If you allow Podcasts to use cellular data (under Settings > Podcasts), streamed podcasts of any size will play.

Cheers,

- Judy

Mar 25, 2015 9:17 AM in response to judysings

Hi Judy, thanks for that detailed reply, appreciate it. The problem was that when launching the podcast app it would never load anything at all so I couldn't even get to the first step you suggested....it would hang on the "updating library" screen then crash. Not one title would show up and it didn't matter wether it was connected via USB to iTunes or using cellular. My wifi has not worked for months and BT just started working with the recent upgrade to iOS 8.2.

After searching through you the day what worked was putting the phone in airplane mode, launching the podcast app, then it didn't crash and loaded my titles......turning off airplane mode allowed content to load.

I only want to stream on my phone or mbp, not download.

I find the new layout redundant and more confusing than the older app.

Podcast app not loading any content after ios8.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.