Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer pictures from my PC to my iPhone 6 plus?

There are some times I need some pictures from my PC onto my iPhone 6 plus. How can I do that without syncing or anything like that? I know dropbox, etc., will do it but I would like to avoid opening a lot of pictures and saving each one to the photo library.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 4:09 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2015 5:50 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Those are all interesting ideas for me to consider. I am always afraid of syncing because in my experience, it takes away from some folders just a sit adds to others to be in sync and I've lost files that way. Also I have had bad luck with iTunes in my PC. If I used Picassa or something like that I know how to access any temp file or cache that is left behind. However I cannot find any of these files on my iPhones. Everything seems to be hidden. DropBox works but I would prefer some way that would take the photos directly into my photo library. With DropBox I have to open each picture and save it to photo library. This is a long process with hundreds of pictures to transfer. I would be very interested in using iCloud. I have 200 GB there and just learned all my photos in original high resolution are in iCloud. I have not yet been able to download these pictures directly to my PC hard drive using Win 7. And in the direction from PC to iPhone I have no idea how to begin. I have had iCloud for Windows installed on a PC before and that was an uncontrollable situation. iCloud may not have been set up properly, I don't know. But I was having all my pictures controlled by Apple and some I did not want on the iPhone ended up there and others were synced and I lost pictures.

But if you could give me any details of how to get my pictures to and from iCloud and my PC I would really appreciate it.

Mar 22, 2015 5:55 PM in response to stephen714

What I suggest (and what I use) is Picasa Web Albums and the app MyPics (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypics-picasa-web-albums-manager/id351297486?mt= 8). This app has all of the features of the built in photo albums, but is much easier to use. It will sync to your Picasa web albums, and cache them on the phone if you want it to. You can also add photos to your Picasa web albums directly from your phone. Picasa is free, and comes with a very good photo editor and organizer, including facial recognition.

Mar 24, 2015 6:11 AM in response to stephen714

By cache, all I mean is that MyPics has a check box to save the images on your phone. If you leave it unchecked it will download the photos when you view them on the phone, but will not keep them. If checked the photos remain on your phone so you can view them when offline.

You shouldn't ever have to look at files on your iPhone; let apps and iOS manage the files. Most of the content under iOS isn't files at all; contents are in a SQLite database, and messing with the files can corrupt the database.

Apr 1, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for replying. I now have a question as to what version of a picture is on my iPhone. I discovered that it was checked to keep optimized copies of all pictures with the original full resolution files being kept on iCloud. I have plenty of space on iCloud but still want the full size pictures on my iPhone. I changed the setting to keep full size pictures on the phone. That was about 3 weeks ago and there are over 10,000 pictures. How do I know when the files are all full size on the phone so I can do the transfer to my computer sand get the correct version? I have finally found how to select all pictures in iCloud but no way to download them as a group. The transfer apps on iPhone when working do send all picture files selected as one zip file. Is anything similar available to transfer pictures as a group from iCloud?

Apr 9, 2015 5:29 AM in response to stephen714

I have discover myself that it is quite easy to transfer pictures from iphone to computer with the usb cable that comes with the phone. There are apps and one that works to do this using my wifi but this gets a bit iffy when pictures start to climb above 12,000 or so. I did something I read a combination of articles on Apple and Microsoft to do. Turn iPhone on and plug into usb of computer. The first thing that happen sis a question asking if you trust this computer and you must answer yes. Next you will see Windows install the drivers for the phone on first use. This usually goes smoothly but if it doesn't, before trying to get them manually through Windows Update or device manager, unplug and try plugging the iPhone in once again. You may even have to unplug other devices plugged into a usb plug. Give it a few tries if necessary and it will almost always install the drivers properly. If not, there is a lot of information here at Apple about what steps to take next, Then the Windows dialog box asking what you want to do with the photos on the device opens up and you have choices. Select the import pictures using Windows and they will al be imported easily and you get a chance to tag them and more at this point. It really has become no different than connecting any other usb device and works automatically almost My next question is how do I seek and find where all my other files are hidden such as text messages so I could selectively restore some or even some other files that are stuck with the app that created them due to a lack of real options about using the files after creating them.

Apr 9, 2015 7:01 AM in response to stephen714

stephen714 wrote:

My next question is how do I seek and find where all my other files are hidden such as text messages so I could selectively restore some or even some other files that are stuck with the app that created them due to a lack of real options about using the files after creating them.

In general, you can't. The file system in iOS is not directly accessible. Files are owned by the apps that create or manage them. This is a security feature, and is one of the reasons that after almost 8 years there have been no serious incursions that breached iPhone and iPad data protections.

There are some 3rd party apps that will give access to some of the files in iOS, but only from a "trusted" computer. TouchCopy is a popular one. These will provide read and delete access, but you cannot write to the iPhone file system, again for security reasons. If you could it would be possible to plant a virus or trojan on the phone, either intentionally or inadvertently.

Another option is to back up the device to iTunes, then use one of the dozens of iPhone backup extraction programs available.

How can I transfer pictures from my PC to my iPhone 6 plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.