Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac refuses to turn on completely.

It tries to load up to start, but then shuts off. I have done SMC and PRAM resets, but now it simply won't even get to turn on all the way. Help please.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 7:29 PM

Can you start The Apple Hardware Test? Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

Or into recovery to try to run Disk Utility? OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

7 replies

Mar 23, 2015 5:26 PM in response to RVfl2012

Similar problem with mine yesterday.

Screen pixelated & Locked up. I re booted and screen displayed Apple logo and boot bar for a 1/3 and then would re boot (sometimes pixelated screen).

Have since Command + R (Needed to You tube as I wasn’t holding keys down long enough) and selected disk utility, disk was ok.

Selected re install Operating system and all is ok…for now.

Have downloaded EtreCheck and all seems ok.

What has caused this recent problem with the iMacs?

Mark

Imac 27 inch, Mid 2011

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU 4-core

OS X 10.10.2

Apr 17, 2015 5:00 PM in response to ringtailfarm

Update on problem. It happened again after a week so back to the Apple store for further testing. Showed photos of pixelation displayed on screen and Apple Tech was agreeing it was probably the graphics card but it had passed the previous tests.

Lucky me as it showed a fail when tested by Apple this time and was replaced after 3yrs&11 months after purchase.

Never had a PC part replaced ever after a failure, well done Apple.🙂

Apr 21, 2015 6:02 PM in response to ringtailfarm

Congratulations!

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac too. Had the same problem in 2012 and Apple replaced the GPU. The GPU failed again this weekend after 1.5 yrs. I took it to Apple Store today and they said they currently have a replacement program for it and will replace it for free. It was a great feeling to know Apple is still taking care of systems that are more than 3 years old. 🙂

My iMac refuses to turn on completely.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.